Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My deck and porch!  (Read 9351 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: My deck and porch!
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 11:23:40 pm »
hey Steve!...one more post and you'll have 100!
..Man,....Its HOT in here!!

your friend,
john

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 11:27:17 pm »
Ill always think of the film "failure to launch" and the naked room now..

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 11:32:02 pm »
Oh gosh, I was reading a book by the Bee Lady Sue Hubbel I think her names is about living in the Ozarks, and how if you work in the woods or brush nekkid, you won't get chigger bites!  Good thing we don't have chiggers here, might have to be like JP and his wifey!!  Johnny I didn't know Texas was green...OR thatHOT  phew...I would melt in that heat...I am a semi foggy ocean girl here...

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 11:59:52 pm »
Hey Sharon,
 A 200 to 300 $ a month water bill BETTER make it green!!
I didnt post all of my place but as soon as it rains and the mesquite bloom I'll TRY to make a slide show.
 I have a drip irrigation system all over my place..It works real good....But I need to remember to turn it off at nite and before I go to work...Little drips make for BIG pools!! If the law could see my wasted water, as when I leave to work and forget to turn the water off, they would have a field day on me!Esp. if we were on rationing. Do you know where Vandenburg AFB is? I lived there and i remember the fog!..To drive to the base you have to go up a winding road and near the top it gets foggy!...I used to love that as a kid!

your friend,
john

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 01:14:36 am »
Oh yup I know where Vandenburg is, in Lompoc right?  I have an Aunt there...sometimes when they have a missle shoot, we can see the green in the sky all the way up here!  I think they also plant a huge hillside with ranunculus flowers too??  Or is it tulips???

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 10:33:19 am »
Oh boy,....I remember flowers EVERYWHERE when we used to live there! I mean acres and acres but i cant remember what they were. I do remember the "Ice Plants" dividing the roads here and there.
 And the MISSILES!!!
 I was in elementary school back then.....First you would feel a rumbling in the ground and stuff would vibrate..Like a tiny earthquake.Then we could all hear the roar from far away!
 That was IT!!!..It was just the thing to do, no matter WHAT was going on in class......Just run outside and look at the sky!!!!(Oh,..not just me...I mean the entire school)....You could see the streak in the sky, going up and up and up, ground shaking under our feet for awhile, till it was gone!!..Then it was quiet again. Every so often, for one reason or another, the missile would explode!(Over the ocean of course.)..BIG BOOM!
 And then,.....We all went back to class..Walking a slower pace than when coming out :)

I think maybe they were tulips.
I'd say there were so many advantages growing up in a military environment...This was just a tiny piece, but, none the less,this was something most people never see in their entire lives.

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 10:48:59 am »
Awe, being away for that week I have missed so many posts and I just don't have the time to go and read them all, maybe I can get up even earlier tomorrow.  Whah, whah, whah, I can be a whiner, hee, hee.

John, you have a very beautiful place where you live, and I am not kidding one little bit, it looks so peaceful and just so darn right green and full of the glory of Mother Nature.

The crawdads in your pool.  I only know a little about them, we have crawdad holes where me and the kids go and have fun catching them and later releasing them.  I am thinkin' that they need fresh, running water, they can have pools to sit in, live in, but maybe need that water flowing through.  I am not sure of this, so don't think that I think I know it all, I don't (only most of it, hee, hee,, kidding).  I would love to hear if the crawdads at your place are living in the bottom in the murk.  One day when you get a chance, go and check it out, I am truly interested.  BTW, I wouldn't just put my hand in there without being able to see what you might be touching, it might give you a powerful pinch, hee, hee.

OK, barbequing without a shirt on!!!  Are you out of your mind?  Don't you worry about getting grease burns on the big ol' tummy of yours, hee, hee.  I always laugh when I see my Son-in-Law come over here and sometimes cook us something with no shirt on.....he always gets a little splatter, curses and then goes and puts on a shirt, it always brings that smile to my face, because I know that he is gonna put a shirt on sooner or later.  Laughing out loud for surely.

One day we will live in a place where we can be nuddists.  Nothing greater on this earth than the feel of the earth, wind and fire on our bodies, been there, done that.  Wonderful and natural.  The stories that you guys told of this stuff was funnneeee, that made me get that great smile on my face.

John, air potatoes?  Are you speaking of the vine there?  That is the potato vine?  Elaborate.

Did I see some four o'clocks beside your porch?  Are yours fragrant?  My Sister always wants to plant four o'clocks and says that they are fragrant, but for some reason, any that are planted on my property never seem to have the fragrance that I hear that they have.  I am thinking that they need a hotter climate than mine to provide that beautiful scent that I have heard they they possess.  Elaborate please.  I hope that Janelle still has some pictures of your place on the camera, I need to see more of your place, and I bet others would love to see more too.  Seeing the pictures that my forum friends put here about their homes is the most wonderful thing, it takes me right there, and I am lovin' it.  So, everyone, bring on these pictures of where you live, come on, ya'll can do it.  Have the most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 11:34:12 am »
Yeh, they are "Air Potatoes" not the potato vine(or "Sweet Potato Vine") I got 4 potatoes from an old girlfriend back in the late 70's('Bout the size of bent dimes,but they do sometimes get the size of a quarter). Someplaces' like Fla. I believe consider ths a "Nuisance" plant..Where I live, it wont do good unless you water it. Also, if you have it where morning glories are, the potato vines will come out first..Once the morning glories get started the potato vines wont have a chance to their full potential..As a matter of FACT, YOU WONT BE ABLE TO SEE THEM BEHIND THE MORNING GLORIES.
Once established, you'll have them for along time(maybe forever, unless you tear them out and mow them)..Another nice thing about them is that, unlike honeysuckle, they pull of the fences and lettice easy!.
 If you google it, most findings are about how terrible they are.There ARE some search results of people who like them though.
 For about 2 weeks of the year when this plant flowers there will be a VERY LIGHT scent of cinnamon in the air. You just notice it when you're least expecting it.
 They potato part comes from up on the vine itself. What i have seen though is the tuber underground!(on the web)..These can be massive in some areas!..There are ways to eat these but I really havent tried any of the methods yet.

My 4'oclocks smell nice, usually in the evenings...During the day I usually bend down to take a sniff now and then..It takes me back to when I was a kid in Amarillo! I suppose thats why I've always like them.

Around here crawdads can live in hot, stagnant waters. The only reason I have them is because they were at a tropical fish store for about a dollar a bug. I thought I was saving them :)
 I've reached in my pond many times and pulled it out with frog eggs stuck all over it. One time I got a turtle, thinking it was a rock which had fallen in, and the best thing that came up was a green snake!(He was there to eat frogs I assume) I thought at first i was pulling up a water line till it tried to get away!

These air potatoes will probably grow up there..If you have permafrost it will most likely kill the tuber, but then again, maybe not. I'd be glad to send you some little potatoes to plant as they should be sprouting any time here. once you have the plants growing you'll get air potatoes every year in the fall!
 I can also send you some seeds of my 4'o'clocks come fall..Most are yellow, but theres many colors I have growing..The "Hummingbird Moths" LOVE them!
 Just PM your mailing address.
 Anybody else here wants any just do the same..PM me

Oh yeh,...By the way, if you didnt notice, my pond is the kind you use a liner to make.(Like a plasstic bowl, sort of)..Its not natural..Around here, if you dig a hole for a pond and dont use a liner all your water will go away, along with any critters..You HAVE TO use a pump to at least steer the water so it doesnt stagnate or get mosquitos in it.

ok,...I better go outside...I think the weather is changing and i dont want to miss the rain!

your friend,
john

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 06:48:18 pm »
Four O'clocks smell in the evening, they don't smell like anything when the sun is on them!  Strange, I've always wondered about evening scented flowers, but there are many!  They're usually pollinated by moths, which, of course, usually fly at night.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 10:29:59 am »
John I would love some of your air potatoes, I will PM you with my address, my appreciation is sent to you.  I don't want 4 o'clocks though, thanks.

Ann, I have seen some whomping big moths pollinating the evening flowers that surround my bedroom patio in the containers.  There is always that little bit of light that shines out my bedroom windows and when I am on the patio I can see the night flyers, they can be heard too, if you are really quiet.  I am a quiet type of person, so I hear plenty of things in the night.

A couple of years ago I grew a cascading petunia cultivar in my hanging baskets.  The colour was blue, and let me tell you, that petunia was fragrant!!!!  I could hear and see the night flyers enjoying the nectars that these petunias offered, lovely.  I am planting the cultivar again this year, strictly for the fragrance and that deep deep purple colour, so depictive of the petunias.

If you ever get a chance to grow a night scented flower, I highly recommend (I know I have spoke about this flower many times) the Night Scented Stock (Matthiola Bicornis).  There is nothing, and I am not exagerating, nothing, more heavenly scented than this flower, which opens its little flowers at dusk, and emits fragrance that will knock your socks off, all night long.  I plant myriads of these in planters on my bedroom patio and with my bedroom patio doors open at night, the fragrance blows in the wind, scenting the entire room.  My hat off to the night scented flowers.  Beautiful day in this beautiful life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 04:08:42 am »
Million $$$ view, love those trees!

anything