Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Latest hive threat  (Read 3522 times)

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Latest hive threat
« on: January 19, 2007, 07:21:05 am »
oh somehow so much more sinister than even the dreaded mites!  Wobbly young deer.  I have a family of deer who find it very impractical for them to walk around the apiary fence.  So in the snow you can see that rather than walk around the electric fence they hop right over it at one end, graze through, and hop over the other end.  Fertilzing my fig trees in the process...This sinister young one half fell down the creek bank when we came around the corner of the deck face to face, then as you can see looked up like "hey there what are you".  Mites, bears, skunks, ants, and now clutzy deer....it never ends.  Hopefully he doesn't knock over hives hopping through.  This is the same deer that almost walked over me when I was laying in the grass trying to photograph salamanders earlier in the summer...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Latest hive threat
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 09:58:07 am »
Steve, beautiful, beautiful picture.  It does look rather surprised.  What a story you tell.

So you were taking pictures of salamanders.  Where were they?  I love the slimy things of the muck too.  I find the cold, cold salamanders many times out in the gardens closer to the bush, pick up a bunch of leaves or composty stuff and there they are.  They are so cool.  The kids are always enthralled when i show them these mysteries of nature.

You must be good at photography, I see the skill in the picture taken.  Bring on the pictures.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 11:04:42 pm »
Fantastic Photo

kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:21:36 pm »
Venison!

You can move down here and deal with the racoons that come complete with burglar masks. Also we have possums, rats (as big as cats) , and of course the dreaded snow bird (watch out if this animal is driving they usually aim for pools).

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 11:29:57 pm »
Brendhan. "dreaded snow bird", can you define this and actions?  Greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 11:38:15 pm »
Brendhan. "dreaded snow bird", can you define this and actions?  Greatest of days.  Cindi

Somedays in here is like shooting fish in a barrel. :)
There is a special place in hell for me.

snow-bird n. (Also snow-birdin:  Upper-middle class retirees from the American Northeast and Canada who migrate to their retirement homes in
Florida for the months of October through March.
Example: The snow-birds usually do not permanently move to Florida, but just use their homes there to escape
the brutal winters of the American Northeast and Canada.
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 11:58:26 pm »
Brendhan.  Sometimes you have an odd way of speaking.  What do you mean by this:

"Somedays in here is like shooting fish in a barrel.
There is a special place in hell for me"

Greatest of days.  Cindi

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 12:26:16 am »
Brendhan.  Sometimes you have an odd way of speaking.  What do you mean by this:

"Somedays in here is like shooting fish in a barrel.
There is a special place in hell for me"

Greatest of days.  Cindi

Yes, I do. It is called a huge sarcastic streak.

You asking about the dreaded snow bird caused me to laugh a great deal. I realize this  statement is meaningful to those of us in florida, but it holds little relevance for people who live up north. Floridians don't think the drivers that live up north  drive very well. A common occurance down here is for a snow bird to accidentally drive their car into a pool in someone's yard. Or through someone's beehives.

The statement shooting fish is a barrel is a cliche about how easy it is to get your target. The special place in hell is because I do things that sometimes come off with my dark streak of sarcasm. Think of it like this I once when I was very young cut off my younger sisters hair. My mother was  a little upset because I had been told not to play with the scissors. I was told there was a special place in hell for you.

So when you do a small setup like put marbles in the medicine cabinet and listen for them to all fall out when you unsuspecting husband or friend opens it and you here all the marbles fall out and you husband/ friend freak out, the little mean spirited trap you set up means "there is a special place in hell for you." There older equivelent is "God, will get you for that."

As a comedian says though, if you have to explain the joke you lose the punchline.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 09:25:55 am »
Brendhan, ha, I get ya, kind of quirky in its own little way  :roll:  Awesome day.  Cindi

anything