Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What would David do?  (Read 3991 times)

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
What would David do?
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:39:27 pm »
I posted this on another forum I frequent and am hesitant to post it here since I do not want to name names (I did redact one portion to prevent identifying the person in question since many of you know this person). If you know this person please keep it to yourself as I do not want this handled badly. Just posting here to get some opinions on how best to handle this.

As much as I have run my mouth about dropping the dime I have a conumdrum involving that very issue, fortunately it is not NWCO related.

As many of you know I am a beekeeper in addition to NWCO. I am also the incoming president of my local bee club, Henry County Beekeepers Association. We are one of the largest and fastest growing clubs in central Georgia with over 100 families in it with many new beeks and plenty of visitors and interested folks attending each meeting. We pride ourselves in being the go to source for the new beek and put alot of emphasis on mentoring.
Well on to my dilemma. It involves honey production and sales. I am not a major producer, only six cases this year, and sell out my front door direct to the consumer. As such I am no threat to other beeks in the area and I want to keep it that way. I also sell at a few local venues such as an antique tractor/farm event this past weekend. I will have honey available for sale in Moultrie as well.
Well this weekend I became aware of a local mom and pop store not a mile from me selling FRESH LOCAL HONEY. Not a problem, I wish the guy the best of success but today when I stopped in to meet and greet and see who, how and what I found my dilemma.
Georgia as most states has certain requirements for the sale of food products and farm commodities. At my level and with direct to consumer sales I have the least of burdens, basically none. For retail sales though, as in the case of the mom and pop which is selling someone else's product, there are specific labeling requirements. Mainly as a way for the consumer or the Dept of Ag to be able to contact the producer in the event of a problem. The short and sweet of it is if the consumer buys directly from me the producer then the consumer knows where the product originated hence no label needed if the consumer purchases the product from a third party retailer a label is required. There is also the issue of where the product is produced. If it is for retail sale then it must be produced in an approved and inspected facility, direct to consumer not. That portion is beyond the scope of my question.

Well, me being slightly anal about cya have taken the time to design and print up my own labels that more or less meet all the requirements for retail sales that I am not required to have since I do not do retail sales. Go figure, I'm funny that way.

The local mom and pop has sitting on their counter a case of pint mason jars containing an amber liquid of unknown origin as there is no label of any sort on it other than a price sticker. Lower than mine of course but as usual I am the highest priced guy in town, no worry I like it that way.

Now here's the kicker. I asked as to who and the name floored me. I won't name names here but locally this fellow is very highly regarded, heck I hold/held him in high regard myself. This ain't no newby or hobbiest that don't know no better, he's been into bees since Noah unloaded them off the ark.

So, do I drop the dime or don't I?

I want to hear your thoughts before I reveal my thinking.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: What would David do?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:25:25 pm »
I would speak to him about it. He may be selling in 60 lb. tins and they may be repacking it. A quick conversation with him may clear up a lot of mysteries. 
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:37:46 pm »
or say something to the shop owner.  they may not know better and will appreciate your saying something before they get the knock on the door.  after that, i'd let it go.  you know the source is good so that's not an issue, and if they get busted about the labels it doesn't (hopefully) come back on you.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:45:06 pm »
It is possible that he is selling in bulk and the store owner is repackaging, he has that capacity to sell in bulk. I tend to doubt it as I know his packaging for direct sales as well.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:31:49 pm »
If you know his packaging, does he label and they are removing the label, or does he not label at all?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:39:20 pm »
Not at all on direct sales and same packaging.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 11:36:31 am »
Anything you say, whether its to the store owners or at your club meeting, will be construed in a negative light. People will think that you are trying to 'corner the market' by crying foul where you can get more of your product sold, jealous, etc... If its who I'm thinking of, they know the labeling laws which makes me believe that someone along the chain has purchased in bulk and repackaged it. (maybe not even from the name you were given-they just used a 'local' name). I would let it go. You really wouldnt want one of your first acts of business to cause a huge mess (at least I wouldnt) and there is nothing really to gain in doing so. Thats what John would do :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »
I still think it would be best to speak to him. He may not even be selling to them. Either way, direct to the source is always my first choice.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 06:09:09 pm »
Hive a talk to the fellow that the store owner says it came from.  Also tell the store owner what labeling is needed.  I know you are trying to do the right thing, but my luck it would just be opening a can of worms.  Good luck

Joe

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:53:58 pm »
It's usually best to go the head of the stream to see where the water is comming from. :)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 11:39:46 pm »
thought about this some more.  there's really no need for you to do anything.  no one is harmed if you don't act and if someone else brings it to their attention, it doesn't come back on you.  i would be a different thing if the source were questionable or the store, but that seems not to be the case.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 11:47:46 pm »
sounds like my nosey neighbors.. why cant anyone ever mind their own anymore?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 01:56:54 am »
 the guy that packed the honey dosent have to label it--just like you he sold direct to a consumer (the store)
 it is the stores responsibility to insure any product they RESELL is properly labeled-whether it is a label from the guy who packed it or there own label--they can by direct as can anyone -this is the stores problem not the guy who packed the honey-and should have no reflection on him-we sell shiners (no label) to many outlets that prefer to supply there own distinct label for resale--RDY-B

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 05:08:25 pm »
I would not get involved unless I suspected something dangerous to the consumer or fraudulent...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Rex Smith

• House Bee
    • Harmony Hollow Apiary
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 05:30:06 pm »
David,

I've read and re-read your post.  It's definitely a delicate situation, however, I think that the local retailer would bear the burden of making sure that products on their shelves are properly labeled for sale to a retail market.  That said.... if you are aware of a mis-labeling or non-labeling.. then that very well could be interpreted as being a consumer safety issue by yourself or by any governing agency that might inspect a retail store's shelved products for retail sale

Let your conscious help you decide on the right (if any) action to be taken.  I know what my line of action would likely be.. but I'm not in your shoes.

anything