Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Bee Healthy formula on a smaller scale  (Read 7896 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Honey Bee Healthy formula on a smaller scale
« on: November 10, 2010, 11:47:08 am »
I have searched this website as well as another on the DIY Honey Bee Healthy formula. The smallest quantity I have found, is for a 1 gallon batch-which if I read it right, only requires 2 tbsp of the product per gallon of feed. Being that I have only one fridge, I have no where to store a gallon, in particular for the time it would take me to use that amount a few tbsp's at a time. Does anyone here mix their own in a much smaller scale? And if so could ya please post what your formula is or if it's even worth doing?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Honey Bee Healthy formula on a smaller scale
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:55:42 am »
Can't you just cut the recipe 1/2 or 1/4?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 01:06:20 pm »
I copied this from one of the links above

Tom
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Again, I'll apologize ahead of time for the fact that this may be a stupid set of questions but I think I must be missing something here.

I've been reading about grease patties and Honey B Healthy and menthol and I am more confused then ever.

So here's the thing - the wintergreen grease patties are to help control varroa mites. The Honey B Healthy (spearmint and lemon grass oils) are to help boost the general health of the hive to stave off viruses etc. transmitted by varroa. Menthol is to keep away wax moth and tracheal mites.

Can't I combine these things?

In other words - can I make a grease patty that has wintergreen, spearmint, lemon grass and menthol in it? Would the bees be hurt by ingesting any of these things? Do they actually EAT a grease patty or is is just distributed through the hive as the bees rub against the thing and dismantle it to remove from the hive? If they don't eat the grease patty can I reverse this and make a Honey Bee Healthy that includes wintergreen and menthol that they would ingest?

Here are the two recipes I am going on right now FYI:

" 'Honey Bee Healthy' Recipe
5 cups water
2 1/2 pounds of sugar
15 drops each of spearmint and lemongrass oils
1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules
You have to dissolve the granules in very hot (almost boiling) water and let it cool prior to incorporating the oils into the mixture. The lecithin is an emulsifier and helps disperse the oils in the water mixture.

Wintergreen Grease Patty
4.4 pounds (1814.4 g) of granulated sugar
3 ounces (88.8 ml) of corn oil
1.5 Pounds (680.4 g) of vegetable shortening
1 pound (463.4 g) of honey
1/2 Pound (226.8 g) of mineral salt
2.2 ounces(65 ml) of wintergreen oil.

Thanks.

"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 01:18:50 pm »
Can't you just cut the recipe 1/2 or 1/4?

Scott

If you had seen my math scores in college you wouldnt have asked that  :-D

Thanks for the links. I promise Ive searched here to keep from posting-must have not used the right keywords  :idunno:

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:00:41 pm »
Trouble with the math?  Follow my method.   Make the big batch, then pour half out.   Look at what you got, if it is still too much, pour some more out.   What you have left is just the little bit you need.   :-D

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 09:36:39 am »
Well...since you put it that way lol

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 06:39:24 pm »
I won't lie to you, I had to take math 151 twice in college.   Then I found a major that needed to other math credits to graduate.   BA in Anthropology.   :-D

anything