Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sunkist Queens  (Read 18453 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Sunkist Queens
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 03:33:32 am »
Thanks for the added info guys.  The Sunkist’s sure sound interesting.  Please keep us posted on how they’re doing. 

Bee Nuts, you might want to add an electric bee heater into your hive just to make sure that Sunkist makes it thru winter :-D

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 05:32:49 pm »
Russells advise starting these in large nucs or requeening colonies so the queens can utilize their potential because that way they have the existing nurse bees to raise the eggs they are capable of laying.  I didn't listen and put them in small splits that were still building at the end of the season.  I am waiting to see how they winter.  The colonies went into our long winter with over 100 pounds of stores but If they don't shut down brood laying that will not be enough.  I will be weighing them again the first warm day my wife doesn't preempt.  They did build up well with end of June 2 frame splits completely filling two deeps with bees and honey with no supplimental feeding.   One went queenless and was tipped over by a cow after requeened so is not included in that general statement.   I have twenty pounds of dry sugar on top of it so that one is still part of the study I guess. 

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 05:50:28 am »
I am going to try 10 of Russels Buckfast queens this spring, might try a few sunkist queens.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 11:11:53 am »
Well chit, now I am a wantin a couple of them. ;^(

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 07:16:33 pm »
Just like looking at the seed catalog and kinds of chickens to get in the spring!  Fond farmboy memories but same same now on my beek fetish.  I will see you sunkist and I have 10 moonbeams ordered!  Nanny nanny!  That is a joke son!

Offline tedlemay

• House Bee
  • When You Get Where Your Going That's Where You Are
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 11:52:54 pm »
I have 1 sunkist nuc i started this fall. 3 ordered for the spring. hoping they do well. My fall nuc so far is doing well.

Offline SmokeEater2

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 10:51:56 pm »
I've got one on order this year too. I'm looking forward to seeing how she compares to the Carnies and the swarm mutts.  :)

Offline gundalf

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 10:28:57 pm »
Just got my first SK cordovan on Friday morning and introduced her by noon...   Checked back today and she was still in the cage but the hillbilly bees in my hive had built comb on part on her screen but had not gotten her free...   I removed the screen and allowed all to access the hive...   Hope it all works out...   The hive has been queenless for several weeks and I supplemented with a frame of mixed brood/ honey twice...   She's a beauty, if she does well, I'll start switching...   I'll check back on Sat or Sunday to see if she has taken her throne and post an update...   I'm still kinda new at all this, but love my ladies...   They call me "sugar daddy"...
Good fences make good neighbors...   If that don't work, "Remember the Alamo"...     
http://picasaweb.google.com/1bigyeti/BeesOTheShire#

Offline gundalf

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 08:07:56 am »
 :? Checked on Sunday, but found no eggs, larva or queen...   I think she's gone...   Looks like this hive is doomed...
Good fences make good neighbors...   If that don't work, "Remember the Alamo"...     

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 09:32:00 am »
Could be but I would wait a couple more days just to be sure.  I feel for ya.  Is this the only colony you have? 
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2012, 06:44:21 pm »
raise your own queens they seem to do much better and dont supercede like bought queens just my opinion breed from your best producers Chris

Offline gundalf

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:50 am »
Could be but I would wait a couple more days just to be sure.  I feel for ya.  Is this the only colony you have? 

No, I have two others and two packages coming on Sunday...   Russell Apiaries are attempting to help and I am going to find a frame of brood/larva/eggs in my best hive and install it in my failing hive to determine for sure if I am queenless...   If so, they have indicated that they will send me an replacement queen quickly...   I think that I'm sold on Russell and if she works as well as everyone says, I'll requeen another hive or two and get some of my beekeepers club members into them...

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:09 pm »
I have 12 ordered for deliver some time the end of April or first of May, weather permiting.  I hope the cordovan sunkist are as fantastic as people say. Im super eager to try them out.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline SmokeEater2

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 11:35:40 pm »
My Cordovan SunKist arrived this morning and she's a beauty!  I made a split (2nd this week) from a strong hive today about noon and although I normally leave the new colony queen less for 24 hours before introducing a new queen I tried something different with the SunKist queen.

I've read several posts from people describing how easily their bees accept these queens and decided to find out for myself. I took the queen out to the new hive about 5:30 and laid her cage on top of the frames to see how the bees would react to her. They immediately crawled all over the cage with no signs of aggression and several started fanning right away.

I went ahead and put the cage between 2 top bars and the bees seemed very happy and calm. They took to her much easier than the Italian queen I gave to a split 2 days ago.