Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A Central Florida Beekeeper  (Read 2206 times)

Offline macphil

• Brood
A Central Florida Beekeeper
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:45:23 pm »
I am enjoying beekeeping immensely.  Started my hives two years ago last July.  We have a wonderful support system at the University of Florida.  Florida is a great place to have bees. The university has a serious Master Beekeeping program.  I have achieved Apprentice Beekeeper Status.  It is the lowest level, and I am now working toward my Advanced Beekeeper level. 

We do have Africanized bees around here, and it is becoming a nuisance. I am getting my queens from out of state to avoid any Africanizing of my hives.

In a few minutes, I am going out to my hives to find the queens and prepare the hives for re-queening.  My queens came today, so I will be retiring the old queens, and tomorrow I will be introducing my new monarchs.

I also enjoy raising and photographing butterflies, reading, Skyping with my grandchildren, hanging with my wonderful wife, and observing almost anything in God's creation. 

In real life, I make my living as a database developer for small businesses (mainly Macintosh), and I do volunteer work for the Seminole County Sheriff's office. (I get to wear a uniform and drive a patrol car.  How cool is that!)

Phil

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: A Central Florida Beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 03:10:47 pm »
(I get to wear a uniform and drive a patrol car.  How cool is that!)

Phil

Loses its flare after having done it full time for the past 15 years or so :) I had rather be at home in my bee suit.

Welcome to the site!

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 03:36:15 pm »
Welcome to the site macphil!

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 04:04:46 pm »
Welcome to the site Phil !

I live east of you in Mims. There are several members on here from Central Florida.

Larry

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:39:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:44:28 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:02:54 am »
Hi, Phil, and welcome to a fun forum! I'm a bee lurker and robber of information, lol, lol! Wonderful to hear that the University of Florida has so much involvement with the bees!

anything