Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Medium Hive Body Conversion  (Read 4364 times)

Offline jgiles

• New Bee
Medium Hive Body Conversion
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:47:57 am »
I have been considering converting to medium hive bodies and wanted to do it while I only have a few hives.  I was wondering what is done with the brood and pollen/honey that is stored in the deep frames.  What is the best way to transfer the colony without placing unnecessary stress on them? thanks for any replies

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Medium Hive Body Conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:34 pm »
I converted the deep to mediums a couple of years ago. I had 1 deep and 2 mediums as my hive setup.  I found the queen in the upper medium and so I placed a queen excluder between the 2 bottom supers and waited for the brood to be born down below. Then I removed the deep super.  The frames from the deep that had pollen, I cut down to the size of a medium frame and placed them back into the medium super. At this time, I only had one hive and that was easy.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:21:12 pm »
Either sell them to someone who has deeps, or cut them down...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm

After they are empty, of course.  If you put an excluder between the deep and the medium and make sure the queen is in the medium (with some brood) then you can wait for the brood in the deep to emerge and then steal itt.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jgiles

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:00:29 am »
thanks for the information thats just what i needed

anything