Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: tractors and your collection  (Read 20886 times)

Anonymous

tractors and your collection
« on: January 29, 2005, 05:49:17 pm »
After plowing, mowing the hay the next best is messing with my tractor collection in any way shape or form.
Most of the pictures here are shortly after I got them home from where ever I bought them. Yes You can blame Kare for me having so many. I just wanted one antique pulling tractor.

My son and 1952 Mustang. Geez he is so small, has a 1yr old son of his own now.

:D Al

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 05:57:44 pm »
:) Bottom one is Kares third tractor. A propane model 44.
July 1991

The daughter is so small too. She has two children of her own now.

Dad took second place the first time out with the above tractor when I was finished with it except the decals.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 06:06:34 pm »
:)top::: Kares first tractor her Mothers day gift 1987. Hey it is what she wanted.

Bottom is my rare 1965 ford 5000 gas 8 speed.

Kares second tractor top picture rear tractor, a asked for birthday gift. Bottom picture is Kares fourth tractor. She found it and earned the money to pay for it.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 07:51:25 pm »
my grandpa is into tractors too, I might get some pics of his and post them.
Ryan Horn

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 01:04:34 am »
My goodness Al! How many tractors do you have?!

Here's a pic of the tractor I get to use around here. I like it. It belongs to my father in law. This picture was taken earlier today by my husband. We had a big freezing rain storm over night, and so Chad for some reason wanted to take a pic of  the tractor covered in ice. So, I just happen to have this pic, even though I didn't know you had posted about tractors. :)

The tractor has a bucket on the front, and a contraption on the back (don't know what it's called) that has some sort of rotating drive shaft to run the other attachments that go with the tractor. He bought the tractor used, and then had all these special attachments and the bucket added.

Beth

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 05:21:57 am »
Probably have a three point hitch.

The PTO (power take off) the drive shaft that runs the other stuff, is it hydrolic?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 10:28:54 am »
The last time I took inventory I had 21 Massey Harris tractors made before 1957. The 1965 (now considered antique) Ford 5000 gas, a fortys some thing Farmall H, and a 1961 Allis Chalmbers D17.
Then theres is the 1950 Monkey Wards two wheel walk behind sickle bar mower, a 1961 Wheel Horse garden tractor, a 1960 Bolens garden tractor a 1966 Sears ss12 garden tractor and a a 1972 New Holland before they sold out to Ariens. I got my dads Ariens when he passed away last spring so have that also.

Allis and I teamed up to build the new bee garden this summer. :)  It was to bee just a small one but grew and grew.  :o Allis was a gift from the old fellow next door who retired to city condo living. Said I kept her running all the years for him so I earned her.

Yes I built the arbor too.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 12:15:34 pm »
Gee. :cry:  All I have is a 1948 Ford 8N.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 01:25:19 pm »
I would say we have 40 useable tractors, about 60 if you count the old ones for parts for the others.
Ryan Horn

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 03:57:53 pm »
I have 5 John Deere tractors

Of course they are the size of matchbox cars.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 08:55:52 pm »
We have one John Deere, a 1962 model 3010.  Here's a picture of my son (14 y.o. at the time) dragging the brush hog across the field with it:

I use it, too.  For the holidays, this is what my sweetie got me:

A five-foot tiller will definitely make the "gardening" go a little quicker!

-- Kris

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 07:27:44 am »
The problem with the Ford 8N is it is not geared low enough for tillers. I sure could use one.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 08:52:07 am »
I use a rear tine tiller for smaller areas but when first preparing my garden my grandpa takes 3 swipes with his giant tiller. I dont know who makes it becuase it is old but that thing does as good of job or even better as a rear tine tiller and a heck of alot quicker. I would say it is 15 feet wide.
Ryan Horn

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2005, 12:17:19 pm »
Beth the tractor picture you posted is a Yarmar, more than likely a diesel in the 25 to 30 HP range. I bet the rear attachment is a brush hog for mowing weeds in large areas. I don't have referance materal new enough to know for sure.

The ground speed of the 48 Ford is probably slow enough if the ground has been worked before. I would worry about the PTO shaft breaking if you were to get a rock lodged in it before the shear pin broke. Anybody useing them around here for brush hogging use over run clutches on them.
Fine old tractor, nearly 90% of the parts to repair one can be found at Ford dealers new.

Nice 3010 most of them sold around here have the wide front ends. The wide fronts are a trend started as soon as you could get them on row crop tractors. Some of our hills are just to big/steep for even wide front end tractors. We have one hill on the farm that hasn't been worked since the days of horses because of steepness.
 although the cattle have kept it from reverting back to woods there are many Jack pines growing there now.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2005, 12:33:41 pm »
Everybody tells me the '48 ford just moves too fast for tillers. 10-4 on the over run clutches. When One uses a shreader it is really needed. My brakes are pretty useless. Don't know if it is something about that type of tractor or just mine. But as the clutch does not disengauge the PTO, the mower will just push you along.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 02:42:09 pm »
I wish I knew more about this tractor of my father in law's. I'd like to get in this conversation more. :)

But most likely whatever Al was saying about the tractor is right. I'm sure he'd know pretty well. LOL But the attachment thingy looks just like Kris'. The drive shaft part. I know the bucket on the front is hydrolic, and that the way you lift the back attachments is hydrolic. That's about all I know. My father in law has 5 or so attachments for the back, but don't know what all of them are called - but yes, one is a bush-hog. I use that one the most for the yard. It's the best way to mow my acre and if I need to mow the father in law's 2 acre yard. Of course you can't get around trees well with it, so I have to do touch ups with the riding mower.

Beth

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Dad's tractors
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 05:52:52 pm »
My dad has two tractors, a 52 Ford Jubilee that I used to use to bushhog the fields and he still uses for odd jobs, and an old Allis Chalmers he restored to it's original orange glory. I'll see if I can't find a picture of it.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 06:05:35 pm »
Anyone who has Direct TV can get this station

http://www.rfd-tv.com/?rfdtv/home.html

Check ou the programming. THey have a couple of shows about restored old farm equipment. Some of these are worth a small fortune
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 10:05:19 am »
Jerrymac, I think some thing is needing some work on your tractor as it didn't have live power. Each time the clutch is released the pto should either stop or just free spin till the attchment stops the movement (IE. The blades of a brush hog stop spinning).
Some times the clutch doesn't release properly due to a rear main leak and oil on the clutch face.
Tractors with live power allow the ground speed to stop and the equipment is able to keep running to finish the require chore. Very helpful feature to have when baling hay, chopping corn and blowing snow.

Old steam tractors run in the $100,000.00 +++ range. They command such high prices that they are bought and sold like stocks and bonds putting them out of range for hobby tractor lovers. Some of the odd ball, one of a kind gas tractors bring very high prices too. John Deers at tractor shows for some reason in this area are like Chevys at car shows but still command higher prices even though there may be as many as twenty of the same model at shows.
Hutchenson Minnesota is home to the gathering of the Orange. A Allis Chalmbers meet every summer at the end of July. Also is home to a museum with some prototype tractors such as a electric one they built some time in the 1960's.
The collecting is getting so popular that tractors selling for as little as $50.00 in 1990 are now selling for and in the $2,500.oo area now.
 8) Kare has gotten so good at spotting Masseys she sees them in fence rows 200 yards away.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 11:55:36 am »
I thought I might have worded that wrong. The clutch does work and disenguages the mower from the engine. You can even throw it into nutureal and if not for the over-run the mower would just push you along, unless you reach down and disenguage the PTO control.

Another way to put it. Enguage the PTO. With tractor off and out of gear, push it, the mower will turn as the tires roll.

anything