Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new bee  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Atti

• New Bee
new bee
« on: March 18, 2007, 03:13:16 pm »
Hi From South Florida. Very excited to be in beekeeping. I like naure and all creatures. I feel very lucky to live here. It does get kind of hot but you really can enjoy the outdoors. Be happy to take any advice and tips that I will help me in my new adventure.

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
Re: new bee
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 03:15:05 pm »
hi atti and welcome to the forums. There are several other members from florida such as pdmattox and understudy. They would probably be the most helpful for where you live.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 03:17:23 pm »
Welcome to the forums. I need more South Florida Beekeepers here. To many Yankees on the boards (joke). We have a few members now but I can see we are a growning group. Yes it gets hot here but today while the members up north are snowed in, the only frozen thing I have to worry about is how big my frozen margarita will be. :-D
Where in South Florida are you?
Do you have any hives yet?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Atti

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 04:03:41 pm »
I love margaritas!!! I am really really new at this. I was given an old hive, I thought it was gross and threw it in a corner of my yard while deceiding where to buy a new one. Yesterday I discovered that a colony had found themselves a new home. So now I rushed and order supplies and a new hive. But I have been told that I can just leave this one alone and the bee will clean it out. I do not know it is pretty bad?
How long have you been bee keeping, any advice??? I am really excited!  ;)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 05:47:33 pm »
First where in South Florida are you? Palm Beach, Broward, Dade. I have to know when to start crushing the ice for the frozen margaritas.

Since this hive is moving in and getting themselves setup. Be paitent. The bees have some work to do.

If you are in Palm Beach County we have a county beekeepers association if not there are members on the forum who live in your area.

Welcome to beekeeping. :-D

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Atti

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 07:44:14 pm »
I was waiting for your response. I am in Dade. Miami. Do you think I should keep the old hive or move everone into new housing. I ordered a new hive and supplies? I have nothing, know nothing. I just have alot of respect for nature and all of it great gifts. In this hectic world takening in it gift and sharing this with others is great. I am trying to instill this in my kids. So many kids these days only care about video games about killing. Not that my kids do not ever play these (I wish they did not) but at least I try for them to understand that all living things are important. any info would help. thanks

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 07:49:26 pm »
We have a new member Holycow who is also in your neck of the woods. I live up in West Palm Beach. We have a beekeeper meeting the first friday of every month you are more than welcome to attend if you don't mind the drive.
http://www.beekeeperspbc.com

The ice crushing for the margaritas starts at the golden glades interchange. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan