Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap out question  (Read 1912 times)

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Trap out question
« on: May 15, 2012, 10:26:19 am »
Starting a new medium/small beetree trapout today and I'm swamped with work and bee removals and don't think I can get back to check on it for a week. Can I just throw on a couple of extra boxes and not worry about it?

Pretty sure I've got all the extra entrances sealed, got a good stable platform for the bait hive and can tie off the hive from above, got a small nuc with a laying queen for bait.

Thanks.   ....Don

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Trap out question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:31:35 am »
Can you? SURE. Will it work? That's another question. In my opinion, the first 24 hour check is the most important one in a trapout.

In your case, I would move the small colony to a 10 frame setup and it would have the capacity to hold the bees exiting the first week. That won't help, tho, if they find a way back in the first day.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:50:19 am »
Aside from the importance of the first check you need to have a plan to get the larger box down. I did a double stack nuc this year that got plugged out with honey. I nearly killed myself getting it down.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:31:44 am »

I'll find a way to check it tomorrow, and give them a 3 medium box set up to start with. I've got good equipment and a strong back to get it down.

Was glad to learn from another thread going now, that I can use a few frames out of a nuc (with the laying queen) for bait, instead of using frames of just open brood. Saves the hassle of caring for the open brood while I get things set up and should save them a month by starting with a laying queen.

Thanks.   ....Don