Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Going to help with cutout tomorrow!!!!  (Read 7589 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Going to help with cutout tomorrow!!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 01:15:35 pm »
Yes, I still learned lots even if it is not what I would do. Thanks for all the advice.  That is very interesting about the cutout being broodless because they just recently swarmed. It makes sense though and he might actually find he has a queen. He was going to give it a frame of eggs when he got home just in case they needed it anyway. If I lived closer to that cutout, I would love to go back today and see what is left, maybe a good size cluster. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 01:26:30 pm »
I will assume he has quite a few bees in his box, in fact he should have a very large amount, just because a good many were placed in there.

He will most likely need to add a couple of frames of brood with eggs/very young larvae so they can make a new queen.

Think of what you all did as a trap out. You didn't get any brood but got all of the comb out with bees that will make a new queen from another hive. Their genetics won't live on but what bees were saved will be put to good use and will live out their lives being happy.

What's even better is all the comb was removed, which you can't do in a trap out, so this has worked out even better for the home owner.

Now the rub lies in how many bees were left behind and if by some chance a virgin was mated but didn't have the chance to start laying yet, with enough bees they could start another colony in that same building.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 01:28:49 pm »
annette, if he got the queen, or they were queenless, most of the bees that were left have probably moved on.  i have made follow-up calls on a couple of my distant cutouts to make sure all was well.  on those, i knew i had gotten the queen.  by the next day, the left over bees had pretty much gone.  i suspect it was a bit like the shake-out i did the other day.  the bees just moved on.  there are always stragglers  :-)

i wonder if he didn't take time because he figured he was probably not getting a good hive out of it?  anyway....they all are different and they all are a learning experience, until you get to the JP level!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 01:35:32 pm »
I would love to go back and look, but I really am so darn tired from yesterdayj. I hope they have dispersed and aren't clustered there with a queen. Wow, I have an idea. One of the beeks from yesterday lives close by and I am going to ask him to take a look and see whats up. I am going to call him right now. See you later.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 01:49:07 pm »
From what I have read in the thread, you will not like what you would see. Lots of bees, lost and clinging with no home. I captured a swarm a few weeks ago. I went back to the spot several days later and there was a tea cup ball of bees waiting.....for mama to return.  Being a softee, I gathered them and reuninted them with the rest of the swarm in their new home.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 01:57:17 pm »
This is why I finish my removals come late evening/dark. If I have to leave the job before dark, I will leave the hive behind with the queen caged and pick it up another time.This way you greatly reduce the number of bees that are left behind.

Swarms are about timing and you have to get them when you can, there are usually anywhere from a few to as many as 20 bees that you routinely cannot take with you, the stubborn ones, once you leave a swarm call.

That colony lives on however and that is the main focus in capturing and relocating a swarm.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 02:09:42 pm »
OK so I contacted the beekeeper who lives close by and he wants to help.  He is a newbee and will require some help with this.  I told him to go back this evening with a box and see if there is a large cluster still hanging from the wall.  I told him to sweep the cluster into a box and then just wait around until dark to see if all the bees are going into the box.

If there is a virgin queen or a queen, then I guess all will be well and  he can take the box home.

What if he finds a whole bunch of little clusters all over??? (likely scenario) Should I tell him to sweep as many bees as possible into a box and then wait until dark and go home with as many bees as possible.  Perhaps he can just dump them in front of his other new packages and hopefully they will find homes?? I know he doesn't have any combs of brood yet as he just started his packages on Friday.

He also wants to put that wall back together and seal it up with some caulking. I guess he can do that if there aren't any bees still clinging to the walls.  I hope he doesn't find a real mess out there tonight.

Any suggestions??? I expect him to call me this evening when he gets out there.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 02:16:38 pm »
He will possibly find no bees at all or a cluster of bees in one spot. He should bring a piece of old comb with him to place in the box, a little dab of lemon grass would be nice also but not really necessary.

If for some reason a virgin made it and there are a bunch of bees, then he can put the bees in the box with a flap cut out like I do on swarms and they should march in.

Have him spray the cluster with sugar water 1/1 first if there is a cluster so they can't fly and the entire process will be a breeze.

Someone at some point needs to close up the wall and caulk and seal openings to bee proof the void space.

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 02:23:40 pm »
OK he said he would bring some pieces of their own comb that we took out last night and would spray the bees with the sugar syrup. I told him about the boxes you use and he is going to bring one that he has. (see I am learning from you JP and it has all sunk in)

He was going to put the wall back together and caulk it tonight if he can get all the bees out.  This guy has the makings to be a wonderful beekeeper.   His heart is totally there and he just loves it.

I will let you know how it goes for him.  Hopefully you will be here on the forum tonight in case I need to give this guy some help. Soon as I hear from him, I will get onto the forum and post what is happening. There really should not be any surprises, right??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 02:31:32 pm »
The only surprise could be that there was a queen that was missed and with enough bees they have entered another void space in that building and are starting over.

Have him go an hour or so before dark or have the home owner go by and varify whether they see any "traffic" from bees, coming and going from the building.

This is a sign that there is an active colony starting up again.

I'm pming you my C#, call me if you need me.

...JP

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 04:26:00 pm »
JP,

I wish I had a neighbor like you.  You have been most helpful in this situation as well as others.  This forum is great!

Thanks,

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 04:55:52 pm »
I agree with you Mark. This is indeed a wonderful forum where we help when we can.

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 08:34:35 pm »
Well update!!!

Just received a call from the beekeeper who was going to go tonight and apparently he called the homeowner to get permission to visit that shed tonight just one more time.  The homeowner said no. He felt that we did all we could do yesterday and he would seal up the shed himself. I think because it is a rental property he doesn't want us to keep bothering the renters.

Apparently he spoke to the main beekeeper (named Keith) who took the bees yesterday and was told he had the queen so there should not be any more problems with bees in the shed. But when Keith left yesterday he was pretty sure he did not have a queen. So at this point I do not know what is really happening, but I do know we cannot check out that shed anymore no matter what the truth is.

Just have to drop it now, although I plan on calling that beekeeper Keith to find out if he really got the queen.

End of story.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2009, 08:43:03 pm »
"End of story."

Or is it?

We shall see.

Kudos to you Annette for showing up and getting your hands dirty. I hope you didn't break a nail! ;)

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 12:24:06 am »
"End of story."

Or is it?

We shall see.

Kudos to you Annette for showing up and getting your hands dirty. I hope you didn't break a nail! ;)

...JP

Nails OK, got stung bad through my bee suit right on my elbow. It is swollen right now. How the heck did they get me through the suit???

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 11:28:55 am »
when they are angry off, they can sting deep! 

after i did my first cutout, i spent a great deal of time chewing over what i did wrong and what i could have done better.  even dreamed about it that night.  to make matters worse, i didn't save the hive.  the whole thing was a bummer.  the good thing was that i learned a lot, and after that one, the next few were a piece of cake.

can't remember what my point was when i started this....i am getting old.....guess it was just that you take what you can from the experience and not worry about it after that.  i have a feeling that when you do your own, it will be done well.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »
Well I finally got the CD on the cutout I helped to do a couple of weeks ago.

I know you have seen more exciting photos of cutouts, but I said I would share these.

The holes up above on the left(those 2 holes) is where the bees were going in and out

The guy here is the main beekeeper who guided us through the process.

Mostly honey and no brood.

Nice looking comb

Well the experience was priceless and at least now I can consider doing something like this if I need to or want to.
Annette

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 09:43:33 am »
Thank's for sharing Annette those are some nice pic's :)
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

anything