Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: All covered in white pollen  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
All covered in white pollen
« on: September 27, 2007, 02:34:09 pm »
Watching the bees, amazing how the pollen sticks on their thorax.  The pollen has not been gathered in the pollen bags, but stuck on their body instead.  Kind of interesting, I have been seeing this white pollen for a couple of weeks now, along with the orange and other colours too. Enjoy this wonderful day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
Re: All covered in white pollen
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 03:32:16 pm »
Great picture. My bees have been bringing in pollen that is light cream to white in color
along with the normal yellow type for about a month now.

Offline topbarslo

• New Bee
    • Public domain photos
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:24:33 pm »
I've seen exactly the same scene with my bees today. They were bringing white on their "backs". I wondered what kind of pollen that is !

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:37:56 pm »
Bees that have the pollen on their backs are not pollen gathers but rather nectar gatherers who obtain the pollen while attempting to access the nectar--it is referred to as dual loading.  Pollen gatherers will carry most of the pollen in the sacks on their legs as well as getting coated with it.  Nectar foragers get the pollen incidentally.
As for the type--it is impossible to determine the plant type solely from the color of pollen.  Too many flowers have the same or similar colored pollens to do anymore that guestimate unless you have a microscope.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 11:36:04 pm »
Brian, excellent explanation.  It does make perfect sense too.

The plants that the bees on my property are currently foraging on are (bees like to forage within 200 feet of their hive, trivia):
I am listing these from the closest to the apiary to the front of my house, where they are happy to go too:

Phacelia Tanacetifolia (but this pollen is purple, like the Fireweed pollen)
Borage
Bachelor's Buttons
Sunflowers
Anise Hyssop, Blue Fortune
Anise Hyssop, Anisata
Great Blue Lobelia
Impatiens Capensis
Mignonette (and man are they mad about this flower!!!!) (and it has the most beautiful perfume I have ever smelled)
Blue and pink fall Asters

Now up to my flower gardens in the yard

Nicotianna
Blue Salvia (Victoria species)
Heliotrope, Marine

Other flowers abound in my gardens, but these listed are the ones the bees are highly attracted to.

When I was observing the bees on the Nicotianna, the pollen in the baskets were white, but like Brian said, a myriad of plants produce white pollen.  The flowers are still going strong and beautiful.  We have had the perfect weather this summer for flowers, lots of rain, enough sunshine and not too hot of weather.  Still, I think that vegetables and flowers have been set back by about 2 weeks by the cool summer weather.

A problem has occurred with the Canna lilies that grow amongst my banana grove.  They did not even produce any flowers this year.  Normally they have a beautiful red flower that arises far above the foliage.  I have always grown these and this is the first year they have never set a flower bud.  It has been a strange year for us all, everywhere.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life we live in.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Beebrain

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 05:48:16 pm »
Cindi

Excellent photographs. Some of my returning bees look exactly the same. How lovely to consider the possibilities of a banana grove. Sadly this is not an option for us here in the UK.

Kind Regards

Neil

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 08:36:56 pm »
Cindi, you posted pictures of jewelweed (Impatiens campensis) - that's where the white pollen is coming from.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 10:47:21 pm »
Ann, hey that is cool!!!!  I know many of the different names of flowers, some go by so many, but I have heard of jewelweed and never realized what the latin name was, cool!!!!  You have a great knowledge of plant names and I admire that.  Jewelweed, was a pretty name, wonder what kind of jewel someone long ago thought it looked like to call it this.  I can't think of any, can you?  I bet it is where the white pollen is coming from, there is so much of it close to the apiary, not a doubt!!!  Have a wonderful day, beautiful day.  Cindi

anything