Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wildfowers seed mix for bees  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Jami

• New Bee
wildfowers seed mix for bees
« on: March 14, 2005, 05:45:05 pm »
Hi everybody!

I would like to know if anyone out there has experience with planting wildflower seed mixes for bees.  Here is what I am looking for:  a wildflower mixture that I can spread in an area about 2 acres.  Because I am starting out with two bee packages in April, I would like to get some flowers started early, so the bees can catch an early nectar flow and get their populations increased so I'll get more honey.  I live in Michigan, so probably flowers native to this area would so best.  Any iinformation would helpful.  Also, I am not tilling the soil, hopefully something exists that I can throw down by hand and can germanate in an area that has all sorts of grasses and weeds.  If I do it early enough in the spring maybe it would work.  Jami

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 05:51:08 pm »
I belive most of the wild flowers have to be sown in the fall so they will come up in the spring.Here is a company that deals with wild flowers and there seeds. Their web site is very informative. www.wildseedfarms.com

I hope this helps you some.

Brian

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 07:24:11 pm »
I got alot of wild flower seed at wa :D lmart and planted it for the bees, bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

anything