Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: when to check a new hive?  (Read 2974 times)

Offline jelder

• New Bee
when to check a new hive?
« on: September 02, 2012, 06:25:49 pm »
i just moved a hive on friday just gone, what i am wondering is when should i check on it, the previous owner said that it needed re-queening soon so could i do them both together or should i look and see if new queen cells have been built, and the weather is warrming up in hobart, lots of fruit blossom and natives as well (dont ask for names, they all look like trees and scrub to  me!)
whut!

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: when to check a new hive?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:08:40 pm »
Hey Jelder,

What I would do - and what works for you may be a little different - is let them settle in for a week or so - then do an inspection.

In regard your re-queening - you won't get any queens at this time of year (unless you buy them from QLD and even then I'm not sure if they produce all year round) so I'd just let them build up a little and go from there.

Is this your first hive?

Offline jelder

• New Bee
Re: when to check a new hive?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:31:54 am »
technically its my second attempt at a first hive, my first one was a weak swarm and then the queen died about a month ago and the colony died out.  in regards to the re-queening, we have a few people who are rearing queens so i will get in touch with them soon, my mate whos property the hive is on has been sending me almost daily updates, so far very positive, lots of activity around the hive so they seemed to have settled in well, i will try to inspect them in the next week or so.  thanks for the advice, the weather is starting to warm up down here so more activity is expected.
whut!

anything