Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sleep deprivation causes groggy bees...  (Read 2579 times)

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
Sleep deprivation causes groggy bees...
« on: July 24, 2013, 02:32:56 am »
Interesting journal article on sleep deprivation in bees. ((You did know bees sleep?)  In fact they have light sleep and deep sleep, but do bees dream?

From the paper:  Honey bees exhibit various criteria that define behavioral sleep (16), including an increased threshold of response to disturbance and a specific posture during easily reversed bouts of relative immobility (17). A sleep-specific behavior in honey bees is discontinuous ventilation, consisting of several pumping motions of the abdomen (metasoma), followed by an extended pause in ventilation (18-20). Discontinuous ventilation co-occurs with increased antennal immobility and other indicators of sleep (20) and thus can be used as a proxy for detecting sleeping honey bees both inside and outside comb cells (21) (Fig. 1 B and C). During periods of reduced antennal mobility, bees exhibit increased response thresholds, and total antennal immobility is suggestive of a deeper sleep state (16). We used relative immobility combined with discontinuous ventilation as our indicators of sleep, and these conditions combined with antenna immobility to identify periods of deep sleep.

Sleep deprivation impairs precision of waggle dance signaling in honey bees
by Barrett A. Klein , Arno Klein  Margaret K. Wray , Ulrich G. Mueller , and Thomas D. Seeley
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America , Vol. 107, No. 52 (December 28, 2010), pp. 22705-22709

They used a magnetic device to wake up sleeping bees repeatedly all night long, and then studied how well they performed waggle dances the next day.

Abstract reads:
 Sleep is essential for basic survival, and insufficient sleep leads to a variety of dysfunctions. In humans, one of the most profound consequences of sleep deprivation is imprecise or irrational communication, demonstrated by degradation in signaling as well as in receiving information. Communication in nonhuman animals may suffer analogous degradation of precision, perhaps with especially damaging consequences for social animals. However, society-specific consequences of sleep loss have rarely been explored, and no function of sleep has been ascribed to a truly social (eusocial) organism in the context of its society. Here we show that sleep-deprived honey bees {Apis mellifera) exhibit re duced precision when signaling direction information to food sources in their waggle dances. The deterioration of the honey bee's ability to communicate is expected to reduce the foraging efficiency of nestmates. This study demonstrates the impact of sleep deprivation on signaling in a eusocial animal. If the deterio ration of signals made by sleep-deprived honey bees and humans is generalizable, then imprecise communication may be one detri mental effect of sleep loss shared by social organisms.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:51:50 am by JWChesnut »

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Sleep deprivation causes groggy bees...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 02:54:00 am »
Interesting as always JWChesnut! 

Speaking of sleep deprivation..... It's 2am local time and I'm not in bed yet  :(

Time to turn off the computer and dream about winning more wintering debates with Mr Finski   :laugh:

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 09:14:23 am »
Interesting as always JWChesnut! 

Speaking of sleep deprivation..... It's 2am local time and I'm not in bed yet  :(

Time to turn off the computer and dream about winning more wintering debates with Mr Finski   :laugh:
[/quote

Sleep deprivation. "It's 2am and I'm still not in bed".  That may explain some of your strange ideas Blue. :-D

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:23 pm »
And at what time did you write this, JW.  :-D
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 06:13:26 pm »
reading through the M Jackson trial regarding the drug he was given by that doctor....he had been taking that for almost 2 months. This drug makes one awaken refreshed like they just slept really good but it prevents RM deep sleep. The expert testified that without that(RM)...MJ would have died shortly anyway without that deep sleep. That one can actually die from being deprived from deep sleep.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 08:21:29 am »
This reminds me of the quote from my mentor this morning when we went to rob the hives at his place fairly early, as we had a few sites to get to:

"Bees are not morning people!"

Lone

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 12:25:30 pm »
This reminds me of the quote from my mentor this morning when we went to rob the hives at his place fairly early, as we had a few sites to get to:

"Bees are not morning people!"

Lone

:thunder: :thunder: :-D
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 11:22:24 am »
My bees are a lot more friendly at dusk than they are at dawn.

anything