Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: One Heck Of A Swarm! April 13, 2009  (Read 9058 times)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: One Heck Of a Swarm! April 13, 2009
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 09:20:27 pm »
JP SWARM KING!!  Amazing!  I particularly like the pictures with the bees flying, they look like mud spattering all over!  The 4 clumps were cool too!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 10:28:37 pm »
Where to advertise?

Police stations
Fire stations
phone book
internet
bee clubs
department of agriculture
word of mouth

Mick, I make them march in with my beewhip! :-D

Sarge, I don't weigh them but 10lbs of bees is 30,000 bees plus. No way that swarm was that big. I have caught some (I am guessing) in the 18-21,000 range, that's 6-7 lbs of bees. Perhaps Iddee, Brian or someone else has caught 10 lbers, but when and if I do, will be glad to post the pics.

This year our swarms seem to be running larger than average.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 10:56:37 pm »
Well, sure I have. Only it took five trips to five different areas to get it.   :shock:  :-D

I don't think I have ever gotten even a six pounder.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 11:32:27 pm »
Good one buddy. Yet another FAT FATTY!
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 05:01:14 am »
Where to advertise?

Police stations
Fire stations
phone book
internet
bee clubs
department of agriculture
word of mouth

Mick, I make them march in with my beewhip! :-D

Sarge, I don't weigh them but 10lbs of bees is 30,000 bees plus. No way that swarm was that big. I have caught some (I am guessing) in the 18-21,000 range, that's 6-7 lbs of bees. Perhaps Iddee, Brian or someone else has caught 10 lbers, but when and if I do, will be glad to post the pics.

This year our swarms seem to be running larger than average.

...JP

Oh, for some reason I thought it was around 1000 bees per lb.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 09:23:24 am »
Well, I never did count a lb of bees myself Sarge, but I keep hearing a lb of bees is somewhere in the 3,000-3,500 bee range.

Here's a discussion some others got into about this same subject. Don't expect clarity however, they are just as confused about how many are in a lb as we are. http://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-193095.html

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 04:07:58 pm »
Nice JP
Last year I got a really big one that was the size of a basketball.  I took a empty deep and hive stapled it to the top of another filled with frames and bottom board.  It worked like a funnel.  Shook them, popped the top on and drove them home. 

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 04:39:17 pm »
Wow JP...THAT IS ONE SWEET SWARM...BRAVO..and thanks for the pictures!
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 01:15:34 am »
Gotta think of a new name for JP, he's passed the Swarm King stage, no understanding of where this dude is going, perhaps the Swarm Manager King, hee, hee, smiling.  Beautiful day to groove on the groovey life that we all live, love and share, great health wishes.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 08:16:06 am »
I figured out JP's secret.  He RELEASES the swarm, then follows them to wherever they land to recollect them!  No wonder he can get 3 or 4 a day, I'll bet, by the end of the day they don't even fly that far!  :lau:

Seriously, JP is Swarm Master... Or possibly Supreme High Overlord of the Swarm!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 10:16:52 am »
Sarge, you figured it out, shhhhh, don't tell anyone else. ;) What can I say, we have a lot of bees here.

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2009, 12:12:26 pm »
I figured out JP's secret.  He RELEASES the swarm, then follows them to wherever they land to recollect them!  No wonder he can get 3 or 4 a day, I'll bet, by the end of the day they don't even fly that far!  :lau:

Now SgtMaj, that was pretty funnnneeee.  You have conjured up some pretty neat images in my mind's eye.  In all seriousness, I personally think that JP uses swarm lure as a after shave perfume.  Ooops, guess that was really wrong, I don't think JP shaves, have you ever noticed how black and hairy his face is, hee, hee.  Sorry JP, couldn't resist, smiling.  Have this great, most wonderful day, live and love our life.  Health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2009, 12:37:22 pm »
Bahahaahahhaahahha Cindi, yes, I am black and hairy like a bear! :lau:

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 12:57:02 pm »
JP, yo the man!!!  Have that great and most awesome day and health.  Cindi

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2009, 05:21:01 pm »
Well, I never did count a lb of bees myself Sarge, but I keep hearing a lb of bees is somewhere in the 3,000-3,500 bee range.
...JP

I guess it depends how big the bees are. What a sight -something else I'd like to at least try and see how I like it.
I've become such a bee nerd people are starting to go the other way when they see me coming - (I kinda like it that way).
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2009, 10:43:03 pm »
I've become such a bee nerd people are starting to go the other way when they see me coming - (I kinda like it that way).

Yay Bee Happy, now don't that just maka yo' day, smiling.....I like that too, hee, hee.  Have that great, most wonderful day, health.  Cindi

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2009, 11:31:57 pm »
That was awesome JP!
 But You know what I liked the best? it was the pictures and how we could see all the bees flying so well towards the box!
I love to see the bees flying so clearly, especially when thers so many of them!

Way to go!

your friend,
john

anything