Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Orange Blossom Flow  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
Orange Blossom Flow
« on: March 04, 2013, 04:10:36 pm »
It's my first year in an orange grove so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Everything seems to be going well, the bloom looks like it might be at or near its peak.

What experiences do other beekeepers have to offer?
How are your hives looking if you have them in groves?

The smell of a hive working orange blossom is amazing but I still think Palmetto is my favorite honey!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Orange Blossom Flow
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:39:26 pm »
The citrus flow is very spotty here. The groves that are well maintained or are in wet areas are producing. Others (including ones near my bee yards) have very little nectar due to the drought. We just had a freeze/frost last night to boot so I'm not expecting much orange blossom honey this year.

Next will come gallberry followed by saw palmetto...both of which tend to produce during dry weather.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:26:26 pm »
The grove I'm in seems to be producing. I think I've got good palmetto spots gallberry I'm less sure.

Why does it feel like I'm too far North for 1/2 the good flows and too far South for the other 1/2?

I need a magic Bear-free multi flow yard.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:52:15 am »
Mbeck, sometimes I think I could have my bees in a better place also.  I did pretty good, I guess with honey production here at the house.  But I have thought of building a trailer, I don't have many hives, and just pulling it a few miles one way and then the other to be closer to better flows.
There are lots of gallberries 5 or so miles from me.  And in another direction about 7 miles is a guy with numerous acres of blueberries.    Good luck to yo and your bees.

Joe

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:58:37 pm »
A trailer that you kept hives on would be good. I might get one if I can find one cheap.

I Hummerbee and a flatbed would be better!

anything