Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Package Building Cross Comb  (Read 4461 times)

Offline SawBee

• New Bee
New Package Building Cross Comb
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:58:27 am »
This is my second year with hives.  I'm using all top bar hives.  Installed a new package of Buckfast bees May 15, 2010.  They have drawn 7 bars of wax and are in the process of filling them with brood and some honey.  They have connected adjacent bars with comb on 5 of the 7 bars.  I tried cutting them apart yesterday, but they started collapsing.  I attempted to fasten one section of brood and honey to a new top bar with zip ties, but the comb was too new and fragile to hold.  I closed the hive back up to take time to devise a repair strategy.

I’m considering taking all 5 the cross connected bars out of the hive in one connected group and placing them in a new top bar hive till all the brood hatch.  Then combining them back together in the original hive.

But, I’m open to other suggestions.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: New Package Building Cross Comb
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 05:39:06 am »
Take the straigtest comb on the bar and put that at the "open" end and put the rest all the way to the front.  That way they have a straight guide for the next bar.

Then build five frames to fit.  Cut the combs and rubber band them into the frames.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SawBee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 10:10:38 am »
Take the straigtest comb on the bar and put that at the "open" end and put the rest all the way to the front.  That way they have a straight guide for the next bar.

Then build five frames to fit.  Cut the combs and rubber band them into the frames.

That sounds like a practical and workable solution.  Thanks Michael.

Offline Thymaridas

• New Bee
  • Remember its supposed to be fun
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:47:07 am »
I used to have a problem with cross combing in my 2 Warre hives. Check to make sure that you have the spacing right.

And now when making the top bars, I now cut some square stock on the diagonal and attach that to the bar so that the cross section looks like
  __
  \/

Put a bead of wax along the point and your bees will draw out nice straight comb. Works every time.

Offline SawBee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:18:36 pm »
I used to have a problem with cross combing in my 2 Warre hives. Check to make sure that you have the spacing right.

And now when making the top bars, I now cut some square stock on the diagonal and attach that to the bar so that the cross section looks like
  __
  \/

Put a bead of wax along the point and your bees will draw out nice straight comb. Works every time.

I used 1 3/8 inch wide top bars (maybe should have used 1 1/4  for brood) and I also have the V shaped extension on the bottom of the bar.   I didn't use a wax bead.  I may have to try wax  next time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:13:02 am »
1 1/4" is, in my experience the best.  1 3/8" should work ok, but they may get off a bit, and any wider is not going to work well for brood, but may work fine for honey.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin