Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3#or 4# ??  (Read 4143 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
3#or 4# ??
« on: January 10, 2008, 10:35:31 pm »
Should I buy 3 or 4 pounds with a Queen??? I am nervous about  doing all thing eeeeeeekkkk

Offline MBrowne

• New Bee
Re: 3#or 4# ??
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:14:31 pm »
More is better.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 11:22:39 pm »
I did 3lbs and it seemed like enough. It went really well.  What exactly are you nervous about???? I did not understand??

Let us know so we can calm you down about whatever it is???????

Annette

Offline TapStoneBees

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 11:30:03 pm »
I think that more is better....
It allows you to have a larger colony size to start, with the hopes that later in the season, you can divide them, and then have twice as many.  Of course if you decide to divide you will have to order another queen unless you are going to raise your own.  Oh, and Don't be scared, beekeeping is EASY and life is all about the learning experince.

I love Aptos, by the way and miss it much. I used to live on Trout Gulch Road, and right near the redwood village for a few years.  Lived on the Central Coast for many years.....ahh the beauty of California...You are so very fortunate!!  Say Hello to Rio Del Mar for me!!!

Enjoy this Time of year, I remember it to be Bee Utiful!!!!
Cheers,
JT
"Do or Do Not.... there is no Try!"

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 12:06:26 am »
Oh Hey JT,

I will give a nod to RDM for you.  I am just 3 or so miles from the Aptos in Day Valley ( duh ).  We just had a crazy storm last week, you can imagine the mess it made.  Redwood Village is still there, but has changed a bit...

Thanks for the opinions on bee poundage!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:52:46 am »
If you are talking about a 3# package to start with then 3#s is fine.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 07:35:53 am »
Either will work fine.  Don't lose any sleep over it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 06:18:24 pm »
I went to the bee-genetics.com site and ordered 2 packages of 4# Russians with queen...got a funny response screen looked as though it has been emailed to the people there, but no confirmation.  I called today, their answering machine said they will be open for business Feb 1...I was going to lave a message but their machine is "filled to capacity" with messages...I shot the fellow an email, have not heard back...I have no idea IF my order is good....hhhhmmm

Anyone here use these folks?  They are in Vacaville, which is around 2 hours or so from here...

Thanks a heap

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 06:56:34 pm »
Be patient and keep pursuing  tabbers is premium in quality -RDY-B

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 08:00:29 pm »
Thanks rdy-b!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 11:04:05 pm »
Just realize thet regardless of what size package you buy, 1/3-1/2 of the bees are going to die off before the hatching brood begins to make any impact on the hive.  don't panic as the number of bees dwindle for the 1st few weeks.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 11:13:51 am »
Thanks Brian,

I am working on NOT worrying SO much about the bees...I have never installed a package or queen, so I am a bit anxious about that too, but at least I have all this great information on the forum..hooray!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 11:22:15 am »
Thanks Brian,

I am working on NOT worrying SO much about the bees...I have never installed a package or queen, so I am a bit anxious about that too, but at least I have all this great information on the forum..hooray!

did you see John's (BeeMaster) video he made installing a package? it was a nice little video that could help you 
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 02:00:09 pm »
OK now I understand the anxiety. Yes, it was quite an experience when I installed the package bees April 2006. Everything went really well, until I shook the bees into the super and a lot of them went straight for my friends hair (she was not wearing a bee outfit, but was standing far enough away that she could read the instructions to me, while I did the work) She had a very strong smelling conditioner on her hair and they were attracted to it. So all these bees got in her hair and she was trying to get them out, while I was continuing installaton. I got really nervous for her and got stung on my hand. She had to run away but they followed her and she got stung by the bees caught in her hair. After I closed up the hive and made sure they were fine, I went to her to help remove the bees from her hair, but I was crying that this happened to her.

So the moral is - DO NOT WEAR ANYTHING WITH A STRONG SMELL WHEN YOU ARE INSTALLING BEES.

Other than that, it really went well. Good luck and keep us posted. You will do great with it.

Annette
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 06:19:25 pm by annette »

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 02:24:12 pm »
If anybody gets a bee in there hair dont try to pick it out-mash it and you wont get stung -trying to get live bees out of your hair will for sure get you stung -always tell people that come and see the bees to mash any bees that land in there hair - ;)  RDY-B

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 02:34:21 pm »
Yes, you are correct about that. I did not know that at the time, but it was to late anyway by time I got to her. They got her on her face, head, and back. She was a real trooper and did not even complain. It was I who got hysterical.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 03:14:36 pm »
Annette, sorry you and your friend got stung. Yes, when bees get in the hair we want to get them out to save them or to avoid getting stung, but for some reason they are very difficult to get out of hair so either you try and let them work their way out and probably get stung or smoosh them. As you have learned, when doing installs, it can be rather chaotic, bees flying everywhere, so I would recommend to anyone in the vicinity to at least wear a veil, during this process. Glad you got your bees in!

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 06:20:40 pm »
JP

Sorry for the confusion. This happened in 2006. I corrected my post to reflect that. Thanks though for the concerns.

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 06:29:07 pm »
OoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooKkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

Sincerely, JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 07:18:14 pm »
 :-D :-D :-D