Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: computer keeps losing time  (Read 3946 times)

Offline FredBorn

• New Bee
computer keeps losing time
« on: April 28, 2006, 10:25:18 pm »
My computer keeps losing time.

Replaced battery.

Xp professional with zone alarm and agv free edition.

I've tried elimainating some of the programs loading at start up but ut doesbn't seem to help.

Any ideas

Thanks in advance.

Fred citrus county Florida 3 hives

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 11:01:25 pm »
I was hoping you said that only the clock/time in the forum was off (this does happen sometimes with the software - a bug they should fix some day) but if everything is going and you have a new battery - I'm stumped. Then again, I'm seriously NOT a techie guy, so no surprise there.

I had a friend who was having problems and I tried helping him over the phone - his computer just kept shutting OFF and HE thought it was only doing it at the monitor at first. Later we figured out his whole computer was going down and he ended up taking it to a tech - turned out his TRANSFORMER which ran the fans, etc., was dead and his processor was over heating.

It doesn't sound like that is your problem obviously, but it goes to show that sometimes the problem isn't where you are looking. I know someone here will have an idea or two - good luck!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

manowar422

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 11:30:25 pm »
Fredborn,

Did you TEST the NEW battery???

Clean the battery contacts points (with the puter unplugged)
with a Q-tip soaked with a couple drops of 70% rubbing alcohol.
Let it dry for a couple of hours before plugging it back in and
re-booting so you don't short out the board.

Upon re-booting, set the time and date and shut it down overnight.
If the time reads correctly in the morning, problem solved.
If it's still acting up, have the BIOS chip checked for an update. :)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 10:17:49 pm »
Be careful you may have more than one battery also.
Make sure you are not overclocking the CPU. Overclocking is very rarely a problem, but I have seen it.

Check the bios for time issue. Check for bios updates from the manufacturer.

Make sure the power supply is a proper type for the mother board and not set for the wrong voltage.

As a worst case be prepared to check to see if any of you pci, agp, or isa cards have developed an issue. If none of those, your motherboard may be on the way out.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything