Welcome, Guest

Poll

What preventive measures to take now to save hive

Hive died
0 (0%)
Measures to save the live one
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Hi from Delaware Ohio  (Read 1555 times)

Offline vemergy

• New Bee
Hi from Delaware Ohio
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:07:13 pm »
Hi,

My name is George and I live in Delaware Ohio.  I started with backyard beekeeping in 2013.
I got my first hive in mid-April 2013, and my second one on May 29, 2013.
They all were doing well through the summer and into the 2014 winter season (at least to the best of my ability to tell).

By end of summer, I had 3 med supers on the first hive, and 2 med supers on the second.
I just found out yesterday, that I lost the 2nd hive -- no buzzing, no fun.

I do not think they died from starvation, as I did not harvest any honey last season, and made sure that I fed them (each hive) about 30-40 LBs of syrup in addition to the few honey (I am guessing about 20-25 LBs) they collected.

First hive is still alive, but think the second hive died from not being able to establish itself string enough the previous season.

Is that a reasonable guess, or there might be another reason that I am overlooking?

Also, what urgent measures should I take right now, to make sure that I do not lose the second hive?
I wrapped it up with a blanket last night (we got -12F last night) and will keep blanket for next few days, but anything obvious that I should do that I am overlooking?

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
Regards,
George

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
Re: Hi from Delaware Ohio
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:37:03 pm »
Welcome to the forum George. I am new as of this past year as well, so i wont try to give advice. Not to mention i live in a totally different climate, but there are plenty of beeks on this site that are from up your way and i am sure would love throwing some advice your way... Good luck on saving your ladies... :)
Marshall

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:48:17 pm »
Yes. Welcome!

If your location were in your profile, you may find people a little more eager to assist, since beekeeping is so different region to region.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:22:55 pm »
What treatments did you use for the mites? 

Offline vemergy

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:27:03 pm »
I did not use any treatment at all -- read some place online that treating for mites in the first year might not be recommended as usually that's not a problem in the first year.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:39:21 pm »
Are you sure that they are dead.  In last few years I could listen and hear my bees, this year I have on some of the hives, but when its warmer they will bee coming out.   If they are dead, it could be how big the cluster was.  there are many reasons why they could have died.  Good luck

Joe