Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding bees  (Read 2158 times)

Offline bill

• House Bee
feeding bees
« on: March 27, 2005, 11:34:52 am »
I have been having trouble trying to feed my bees I first of all dont know if I should even be trying to feed them but sugar syrup seems little enough to give those hardworking critters. The problem is that I ordered a feeder from kelly bee and make syrup of equal volumes or sugar and water.  I tried putting it in a hive body and the result was that syrup ran slowly down over the frames while i wasnt there and since then I have tried different ways of putting it next to the hive, on top of the hive and in another hive body close to the hive but it always leaks  can someone give me some advice on how to feed. I added more sugar to the mixture but evidently not enough is it as simple mixing the syrup thicker and thicker or is there something I am not seeing. also since I am putting undrawn supers on now, if I feed does it save honey while they are building foundation or when there is a lot of flowers out now do they just ignore it and live on honey?   thanx  ps i am in midland texas and I tried to add it to my profile but I guess it didnt work  I will try again
billiet

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
feeding bees
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 12:10:07 pm »
Bill,

First of all, I would recommend putting location in your profile, so we know where your from and can provide advice accordingly.

Syrup is mixed by weight, not volume.  Here is a link to how I mix mine.
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/mixing-sugar-syrup/

Secondly,  as far as feeders go, there is none better than an inverted GLASS jar.   Depending on how fast they are taking it,  you can use a quart (which fits nicely in an empty medium super) or a gallon (which fits nicely in an empty deep and are usually free for the asking at your local deli). I won't reiterate the advantages of the inverted jar over other types of feeders, you can do a search of the forum if your interested.

If there is not a flow happening, you are wasting your time putting on honey supers with foundation, at best they will ignore them, at worst they will chew out the foundation or propolize it.

You should never feed syrup with honey supers on either, unless you want sugar honey.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:15:31 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything