Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where do you buy your package bees?  (Read 7831 times)

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
Where do you buy your package bees?
« on: December 27, 2013, 06:07:42 pm »
It's that time of year again. So tell us, Where do you buy your package bees?    :?
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Where do you buy your package bees?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:48:05 pm »
Our local bee club who picks them up in North Carolina. Our bee club usually get 225-250 packages for our new beeks who took our introductory course. Each new beek is assigned a mentor to watch them thru the first year.  I understand Mann Lake is trying to sell packages this year, so there is no track record for their bees. If you are in a local club it might be cheaper then buying 1 or 2 packages.   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:10:02 pm »
The Wilbanks Apiaries, Inc.
 3060 US Highway 280
 Claxton, GA 30417

This is my first year keeping bees and I got a 3 pound package from them on 7 Jun. I believe they are the 3 banded Italian. From what I've read I was lucky to have picked such good people. I think there was maybe 3 or 4 dead bees in the whole bunch. They have filled up the two 8 frame deeps and as of today they are wall to wall. I plan to split this hive at least once and maybe twice this new season.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:08:58 pm »
I am new to Bee Keeping , but I purchased mine two Italian packages from kellys.. I am located in the South so I figured buying from the South would be my best bet....
I was going to use Georga bees but April was sold out . So Kelly got my money because I can get my bees started in early April..

When you are not located near any Bee Suppliers mail order is about the only option getting started. Sadly a lot of suppliers on do pick up..

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:24:54 pm »
If you are in a local club, there will probably bee several that will sell you a Nuc or a hive to start with.  The very first bees I got was a cut out, then I bought 3 hives from an estate, I have gotten Queens from a local beek also.  The beek I get the Queens from is furthest away, he's 35 miles.  When the weather is good here the bees are getting going in middle of Feb.

Joe

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 01:37:05 am »
 Right now I'm considering ordering a package of Buckfast from RWeaver. R Weaver Apiaries
 I was also thinking of ordering "Connecticut Carniolan" from someone a bit more local but $155 seems a bit much for a 3 frame nuc. Full Bloom Apiaries
 I might try to cut cost by ordering a few package of Italians from a local source and then requeen with Buckfasts and Carniolans. Hillside Apiaries

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 11:31:49 am »
Right now I'm considering ordering a package of Buckfast from RWeaver. R Weaver Apiaries
 I was also thinking of ordering "Connecticut Carniolan" from someone a bit more local but $155 seems a bit much for a 3 frame nuc. Full Bloom Apiaries
 I might try to cut cost by ordering a few package of Italians from a local source and then requeen with Buckfasts and Carniolans. Hillside Apiaries
[/quote

What will the final cost of that be? To get a package and a queen later include shipping. If you can get the local nuc soon enough you may be ahead with it.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 01:35:28 pm »
I do not buy pkgs. any bees I've bought were locally bred nucs. I also capture swarms & do trap-outs & removals.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 04:13:38 pm »
What will the final cost of that be? To get a package and a queen later include shipping. If you can get the local nuc soon enough you may be ahead with it.
The packaged bees cost $107 each. The Carniolan queen are $30 each, which I can pick up. I think this will give me a larger number of bees than buying a three frame nuc that may have been thrown together that morning.

The price of a Buckfast queens will run about $28 each plus a huge amount for overnight shipping from Texas. If I went with three queens, I would guess I'm looking at about $200 plus $321 for the 3 packages of Italians. If I buy packages of the Buckfast, then I'm looking at $115 per package plus $48 for 2 day shipping. Not a huge savings but at least the queens will be kept warmer during transport.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 07:02:17 pm »
The packaged bees cost $107 each. The Carniolan queen are $30 each, which I can pick up. I think this will give me a larger number of bees than buying a three nuc that may have been thrown together that morning.

The price of a Buckfast queens will run about $28 each plus a huge amount for overnight shipping from Texas. If I went with three queens, I would guess I'm looking at about $200 plus $321 for the 3 packages of Italians. If I buy packages of the Buckfast, then I'm looking at $115 per package plus $48 for 2 day shipping. Not a huge savings but at least the queens will be kept warmer during transport.

Do you not live close to Billeica,MA ?
Why not buy a nuc for $18.00 more and you get five deep frames to go with it ?
Merrimack Valley Apiaries sell's nuc
http://www.crystalsrawhoney.com/product/2014NUC_MA.html

IMHO
You need to really know what you are buying
Looks like your buying splits

A nuc already has a laying queen with their own brood and workers.

Or you can buy packages.
These packages are picked up only with not S&H

Tyngsboro, MA
http://www.nebees.com/queensnucsandpackages.php

South Deerfield, Massachusetts
http://www.warmcolorsapiary.com/Bees.asp

I can give you a lot more in Massachusetts if you would like them

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 09:31:17 pm »
I'm glad I don't have to buy bees from aways off.  There was at least one beek in our club that last year sold 5 frame Nuc's for 90, pick up only.  And the queens I have been getting, the beek has at least 2 bee yards miles apart, one is Russian the other is Cordovan, I have been buying them for 20 and I pick them up.    The three established hives I purchased to start with, although in bad repair, I gave 400 for the three.  Good luck to you all.

Joe

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 09:34:28 pm »
When you buy these nuc's is it BYOB? (bring your own box)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 09:46:52 pm »
I don't know for sure.  If I remember I will ask at our next meeting.

Joe

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 12:42:03 pm »
I bought mine from Sam of anarchy apairy.  email: anarchyapiaries <at>hotmail.com   He has bees in FL and NY.  Treatment free.

Offline o.molchanov

• New Bee
    • Apiary Manager
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 12:49:08 pm »
As for me, I used to buy packages from local beekeepers. The price is very democratic and the quality is very high.

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 01:59:49 pm »
I buy them from a local guy (Tony Rimkus) that brings several loads (and has several pickup spots) from Gardner's. His website: http://www.olddrone.net/Pages/default.aspx

Offline Dez

• Brood
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 03:41:57 am »
I am getting mine from Summer Beez in central Massachusetts. They drive the bee packages up from Georgia themselves so they are in the packages for the shortest time. The website is www.summerbeez.com

Offline hilltophermit

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 05:00:00 pm »
I buy packages from Drapers in north central Pa. Always been happy with them. never had a problem. Its an easy 2 1/2 hour drive for me and this eliminates the need to rely on the post office. Its the farthest I ever go from home, so its like a vacation! :)

http://www.draperbee.com/

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 09:15:49 pm »
I am purchasing some from Tony Rimkus as well.  Pricing is the best I have seen.

anything