Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Ramblings for 2011  (Read 19640 times)

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
Re: New Ramblings for 2011
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 04:35:51 pm »
See here is the problem, I didn't bash him.

This is disingenuous.  I think on any forum or anywhere on the internet the phrase
a spam post that lures readers to your website
would be considered derogatory.  

Acebird - If you do not wish to put credence in something someone says, that is fine. But making that statement after implying someone is being less than honest is bashing, at least in my book.  Maybe not flaming, but still  fairly aggressive and challenging.  The "just my opinion" defense does not fly with me when delivered in such a way.    

Forums are not necessarily a place for stream of consciousness writing.  There should always be a filter, and sometimes keeping some thoughts to oneself is the best course.  

Just my (filtered) thoughts.

love,
ziffa

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 05:11:11 pm »
I wrote up two new ramblings over some downtime the past couple weeks.

I wanted them to kick off the 2011 bee season, but added them a few days early.

Hope you enjoy.....

http://www.bjornapiaries.com/beekramblings2011.html

Good rant and observations many thanks to you.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134   :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline oliver

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 05:43:26 pm »
Enjoyed the post and website, keep up the good work..

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 06:58:58 pm »
So now I am labeled as the bad guy.  So be it.

Come on now.  You brag in another post how (I'm paraphrasing) you will not stop spouting your mind not matter who it annoys.  Yet, you seem surprised when you get called on the carpet but then passive aggressively respond with the above quote.  It's like nothings been learned and if this is the case it will invariably be repeated.  This post was a link to light hearted enjoyable rant that's been tainted bitter.  I have nothing against you personally but please be considerate of your posts in the future. 
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 08:31:06 pm »
Just the one vocal enough to comment.

Trust me, I agree with a lot about what he says.  But that won't stop me from point out something that looks fishy.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 08:57:43 pm »
If you can't be polite with your disagreements,you will have to do them elsewhere. We have a set of bylaws here that should be read by every member if they have not done so. it is at the very top of the forum.here is a link in case anyone has trouble finding it.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,19652.0.html

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 01:56:49 am »
  Nice read*-thank-you*-and also i have been reading about some changes to the term Hobbyist

>The ABF elevated "hobbyist" to "small scale" which brings a little more dedication to the table.  Another great improvement.<

>Actually, the reason behind the name change is politically correct, if you
will.  The gummit does not support hobbies, whereas "small scale" beekeepers
are more apt to get a legislative ear.<

so it is "small scale" "sideliner" "serious sidliner" " commercial"   :) RDY-B
 and perhaps add *recreational* to the list
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:33:49 pm by rdy-b »

Offline cam

• House Bee
    • circle 7 honey
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 07:27:10 am »
As a hobbyist who is moving to side-liner status,  I agree with much of Mike's posts. And I note that the larger I get the less "welcome" I am at local beekeeping meetings, which is sad. I think the disconnect between us is a big mistake because we are all connected by the bees. As I try to streamline my operation and use some treatments to fight mites and virus, the criticism mounts. Seems like we have to be "pure" to be accepted.
circle7 honey and pollination

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 10:05:05 am »
As a hobbyist who is moving to side-liner status,  I agree with much of Mike's posts. And I note that the larger I get the less "welcome" I am at local beekeeping meetings, which is sad. I think the disconnect between us is a big mistake because we are all connected by the bees. As I try to streamline my operation and use some treatments to fight mites and virus, the criticism mounts. Seems like we have to be "pure" to be accepted.

And there's plenty of that here too.

Our club is populated by a lot of old timers (although that's changing), and I cringe at the advice to some of the newbees to faithfully apply the antibiotics every year and the apistan.  We still have a member that kills off his bees every year (to avoid medicating).  But we do have plenty of minimum treatment types too.

But in reality, the big, middle, and hobby beeks all have bees, but need to do things very differently.  Hopefully those difference don't cause unwelcome-ness, though.

Rick
Rick

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 11:12:26 am »
bjorn,great post,very informative website.  thanks    ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 03:17:10 pm »
I think the disconnect between us is a big mistake because we are all connected by the bees.

There is no disconnect.  The more your hobby becomes a business the more you worry about your own bees and less about everyone elses.  Ok, not always but in general.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 03:35:05 pm »

I agree cam. And I think the reasons are many. And I think it comes from both ends of the spectrum. On one hand, I've had larger operation beekeepers tell me that my 10+ years of experience in bees in nothing as I'm still pissin water I drank from before I started bees. On the other, I think that some beekeepers see a more successful beekeeper come along and they are left with only dreaming about building a bee business they could never start for whatever reason. The bee industry certainly is not void of greed, envy, ego, jealousy, etc. It's just like any other industry.

I think the key is too deal with the 90% of the good folks in beekeeping. And don't sweat the 10% that try make your life miserable. I found out long ago that you will kill yourself over the 10%. And even when you do everything to win over the 10%, it will not be enough. They will still denigrate and try to tear you down. I don't sweat the 10% anymore.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 04:13:22 pm »
Man, although I agree w/ you BjornBee, its soooo hard to ignore that 10% since they're usually the loudest (figuratively and literally) in most settings.  But we gotta keep on trying or it'll drive ya nuts :-D

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 04:30:28 pm »
The bee industry certainly is not void of greed, envy, ego, jealousy, etc. It's just like any other industry.

This is interesting...along the lines of the cam's comment about "pure"ity.  I think there are many people in the hobby that think that beekeeping is charity work because we're doing nature a good deed by keeping bees.  While there are good aspects to keeping bees, and while we can help out the industry or hobby by spreading information about bees, the bottom line is that we're all still humans.  Bees don't make us any more or less human than anything else does.

We're all in it for ourselves at base level.  I do it because I enjoy it.  If my life and money depend on it I'm going to do whatever I need to to protect it.  If I had 10,000 hives (or even 50) I'd be doing things far far different than my current 10.

We're all connected by bees, but that doesn't mean we do things even remotely similar.  I think that there comes a time when a beekeepers association needs to be seperate for hobby beeks and for commercial beeks.  I think it was great for bjorn to start another group for different people, they do things a different way.  It is about recognizing differences and acting appropriately instead of letting those differences destroy.

Although I'm still trying to kill myself over bjorn's 10% difference... :-D
Rick

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 04:43:22 pm »
That bring up the question many have been asking lately:  What if humans just stopped keeping bees?  Would they eventually do just fine and proliferate around the world on their own?  Or would they return to the places they are most suitable for their own survival.

I mean, would honeybees even try to live in Northern climates if humans didn't force them to?

I've seen this discussed other places, but it always deteriated.  Still a relavent question non-the-less and since scads brought it up kinda :)

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 04:51:20 pm »
I think that there comes a time when a beekeepers association needs to be seperate for hobby beeks and for commercial beeks.

I agree with your first statement but what does an association do that would warrent the separation?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 05:20:19 pm »
I mean, would honeybees even try to live in Northern climates if humans didn't force them to?

They would do fine if we would stop poisoning their environment.  There were brought here but they are not forced to stay.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 05:22:08 pm »
That bring up the question many have been asking lately:  What if humans just stopped keeping bees?  Would they eventually do just fine and proliferate around the world on their own?  Or would they return to the places they are most suitable for their own survival.

I've seen this discussed other places, but it always deteriated.  Still a relavent question non-the-less and since scads brought it up kinda :)

thomas

What do you mean by "northern"?  They survive up here in trees and houses without us.   There just wouldn't be near as many IMO.  They just run into trouble when we spread pests around.  But then again in theory we spread the bees around in the first place, so... :idunno:
Rick

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 05:27:59 pm »
I believe that if us humans quit keeping bees that only 0.001% of the bees outside of the range of AHB would survive to a 5 year period.   AHB swarm and move too much for pests to do much harm to the hive.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 05:31:22 pm »
I agree with your first statement but what does an association do that would warrent the separation?

If you are a commercial beek and the discussions are all about how to care for a hive and what to do with wax, or if you are a hobby beek and the discussions are about trucking hives, pollination, and types of 80 frame extractors, and you aren't given any say in the topics but have a strong opinion about it, then start a new association.
Rick