Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hiya from Little Rhody  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Traj

• New Bee
  • "We do stuff."
    • TrajNet
Hiya from Little Rhody
« on: December 26, 2009, 06:55:44 pm »
I'm in the research stage at this point.  I do have some start-up items including a hive, smoker and other tools and equipment.
My son-in-law used to do this with his father, so will be around to offer his experience.  I am also looking to contact others in the area.
My hive(s) will be located precisely on the MA/RI line.  I look forward to reading and contributing to this forum.

Regards,

Traj
My bee hive site->

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hiya from Little Rhody
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:33:35 am »
Traj, welcome to our forum, wonderful that you have found us.  Research, research and research more.  Also, it sounds like you may have a great mentor with your Son-in-Law, that is cool.  Stick around, we too can help you out lots, ask your questions, all questions are important.  The more that you learn about that beautiful, secret life of the honeybee, the more you will be compelled to learn, and soon, as we all are, you will be held deeply under their spell, they have that way about them.  This will be a place where you can also tell your stories, tales and experiences, and meet new friends. Have that most wonderful day, to enjoy with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 08:15:13 am »
Hello and Welcome!

This forum is a good place to learn more about bees and beekeeping. Be sure to check out the tutorials on the main Beemaster page (click on 'Backyard Beekeeping Course'). Also, the 'search' function is very useful - I often find answers to my questions in previous threads (No waiting!).

I also recommend getting involved with a local club. Clubs are great for finding mentors and getting connected with local beekeepers. Plus, clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes, and can help direct you to local suppliers of bees & equipment. Two RI beeks that I can recommend personally are Ed Lafferty and Everett Zurlinden:
http://www.ribeekeeper.org/officers.php
They've both been guests at the local club I belong to in Indiana, and both are very knowledgeable beeks.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:54:12 am »
Hello and where is Rhode Island?

Lone

Offline Traj

• New Bee
  • "We do stuff."
    • TrajNet
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 07:34:20 pm »
Hello and where is Rhode Island?

Lone

RI is in New England USA.
I've found a local apiary.  In fact I've found that I used to live a few houses away in Smithfield, RI.  I'll bee stopping there tomorrow to see if I can pick their brains.

Two RI beeks that I can recommend personally are Ed Lafferty and Everett Zurlinden:

Everett is associated with the apiary I'm speaking of, so I may meet him.

Traj
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:52:50 pm by Traj »
My bee hive site->

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 08:16:45 pm »
Welcome Traj, you are where I was a couple of years back... just in research.  I finally started last summer and had a great time.  My only regret was that I didn't have more hive something I remedy next summer.  Anyway I hope you have a great time and lots of fun.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 03:44:00 pm »
Hi Traj,
           Good to have you here. I don't know if you are familiar with Trails End Farm in Rhode Island but we go up there to see our friend Mark Robar. He has hundreds of hives and he sells nucs, packages and queens.
He has some good stock and good advice, check him out if you need anything.
Good luck on your beekeeping endeavors. :)

Offline Traj

• New Bee
  • "We do stuff."
    • TrajNet
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 07:01:44 pm »
Well, here it is; the middle of July.  What a fantastic feeling it is to open a hive for inspection. 

My son in law and I have 2 hives going now.  Both are doing very well.  I do have a web site also, to chronicle our new hobby.  At the point were this forum allows me to post links, I'll add it.

Keep up with the great info that I find here.

Traj
My bee hive site->

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 01:11:08 am »
Glad you are enjoying beekeeping. I think its been a pretty good year for the bees. Have fun.

anything