Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cindy's bees  (Read 7720 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Cindy's bees
« on: July 21, 2012, 01:26:01 am »
Did this one two days ago. Repaired the ceiling today.

We made a good friend on this one. The owner (Cindy) is a great lady and a lot of fun...that's what it's all about right?

Cindy's bees.wmv

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: Cindy's bees
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 06:15:43 am »
I often wonder how many times you guys get nailed, you and JP make it looks so easy, if that were me I'd be fully suited up from go to whoa. Thanks for the great video guys.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:23:55 am »
Great job guys! I know that one was a lot of work, between setting up and repairs. Pretty queen too.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »
Great video guys.   

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 06:21:06 pm »
We made a good friend on this one. The owner (Cindy) is a great lady and a lot of fun...that's what it's all about right?

Correctamundo!  Nice work, nice video. 

I thought I must be doing something wrong because I occasionally take  a sting or two when I inspect my hives.  So I started wearing more than my watch and underwear.  Now I see you do too!  (My wife is always yelling at me to put something on.)

Have fun!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 07:28:54 pm »
Good job and nice video.  Cindi is a tough girl. Bare legs and most time bare arms and shoulders. I am impressed.

Thanks,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 11:31:20 pm »
Good job and nice video.  Cindi is a tough girl. Bare legs and most time bare arms and shoulders. I am impressed.

Thanks,

Steve

That's Peg with the shorts and bare arms. Scott must not have nice looking legs like peg, because he wont show them.  :-D

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 11:45:22 pm »
Sparky, I only show a little leg when I'm trying to hitch a ride!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 10:50:25 am »
Cool removal. I always enjoy seeing them.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:57:40 pm »
I'm glad y'all enjoy the videos!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 04:09:35 pm »
Great video.  My shoulders ached just looking at all that overhead work.  I assume you used no smoke because you were inside the house?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 11:12:50 pm »
Great removal Scott and Peg and a very hard one. Must be pretty darn hot down there. It was great you were able to see the queen with that hood on.

Thanks for sharing

annette

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 08:15:44 am »
What the heck, Scott?! Don't you carry a long-sleeved shirt in the car with you?

I loved watching this video. I love seeing you share the honey with the homeowner. I just enjoyed every part of it. To my mind, that was a big, messy job, and you two simply take it a step at a time without getting too grumpy or short tempered with one another. I can learn a lot from that. I tend to get snippy when I'm tired (or when I've been stung a zillion times and have to pick stingers from up and down my arms).

One question: Do you find that the bees you vacuum from the comb containing honey die? I usually find a big gloppy pile of dead bees in the box...and I don't know how to filter them from the live bees. So, when I dump the vacuumed bees into a hive box, a big glob of dead bees just plops there on top of the frames. I hate that. If you've got some advice, I'm all ears.

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 08:06:50 pm »
miss liz. turn yo suction down and dont run yo vacum so long at a time
to bee or not to bee

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 11:16:47 pm »
Thanks, bud. Though I don't have control over the suction, I can certainly turn it off every now and then.

(And I LOVE being called "miss liz.")

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 12:25:14 am »
"Miss Liz" what type of vacuum are you using?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 08:04:44 am »
"Miss Liz" what type of vacuum are you using?

...JP

Okay. I don't know why that makes me happy, but it does, JP. :)

I'm using the one from Walter Kelley https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=3336333333323333&grouped=1.

Which do you suggest?

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 06:34:02 pm »
If it is to much vacuum, you could drill a hole on the top about the inside diameter of your hose and make a plate to either pivot or slide over the opening to adjust the amount of air that the hose draws, like Robo uses on his design. Make sure when you use a bee vac that you try to avoid  the combs of honey that will make it sticky inside and mat a bunch of bees together.

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 08:44:08 am »
I did another simple cut out yesterday, and once again I had to dump a mound of soggy and dead bees into their new hive box.

Perhaps my usage has outgrown the limitations of my current bee vac, so, after watching Robo's wonderfully informative videos (http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/bushkill-bee-vac-how-to-use-for-swarms-cut-outs/), I've ordered the Bushkill bee vac.

Robo's system makes sense to me (of course, I know already know how that ratchet strap will give me fits. One day I plan to master it). 

-Liz

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 10:00:46 pm »
Well Miss Liz, you will be happy with the vac of robs design. It works well and puts a lot less stress on the bees. You can transport them when you are done and let the bees in the hive boxes you vacuumed into as their home and just remove the bottom board to put a permanent one on after the bees have settled at their new home.