Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from High Springs, FL  (Read 3333 times)

Offline mdax

• New Bee
    • North Florida Bee Blog
Hello from High Springs, FL
« on: July 07, 2013, 12:14:29 pm »
My wife and I raise chickens and have conventional and aquaponics gardens on our 2 acres.
As it turns out Dadent is in our town...which sure seems to make getting equipment and such squared away!

I'll be going to some Alachua bee keepers meetings, have read the dummies guide and working through langstroghs hive and honey bee and want to learn more...after glancing through threads it seems there is just a ton to learn...and wow is ccd controversial!

I am planning on starting with a 6 5/8 super, beemax top feeder and a screened bottom...as well as a full insulated suit.

Is it too late in the year to get a nuc and get it started?  I'll check next week with Dadents.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from High Springs, FL
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 01:53:11 pm »
Welcome to the forum Mdax.

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:01:52 pm »
I would suggest that you attend the Alachua BeeKeepers meetings and ask a lot of questions before you buy anything.They can point you in the right direction. The gentleman that runs the club is very knowledgable and loves to teach. I don't want to mention his name here without his permission.
If you buy bees from the local folks, you probably won't want the full bee suit. Most of my bees come from Alachua and are very gentle. Down here you'll probably stroke out in a full suit. But, that being said, you need to do what makes you comfortable.
Also, get on the UF BeeKeepers' website and study everything there. Dr. Ellis, who is the UF head BeeKeep can be found at Dadants pretty regular. He loves to answer questions, too. Don't be mislead by his youthful appearance, he's very knowledgable.
You probably won't have much trouble finding a nuc to buy. They're usually available in FL almost year round.
Welcome to the forum.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:17:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum. 

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 10:49:30 pm »
My wife and I raise chickens and have conventional and aquaponics gardens on our 2 acres.
As it turns out Dadent is in our town...which sure seems to make getting equipment and such squared away!

I'll be going to some Alachua bee keepers meetings, have read the dummies guide and working through langstroghs hive and honey bee and want to learn more...after glancing through threads it seems there is just a ton to learn...and wow is ccd controversial!

I am planning on starting with a 6 5/8 super, beemax top feeder and a screened bottom...as well as a full insulated suit.

Is it too late in the year to get a nuc and get it started?  I'll check next week with Dadents.

Welcome to the forum.  
And really your going to buy a fully insulated suit ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:07:35 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:41:11 am »
Hea, that full insulated suit could bee good if its air conditoned.  Maybe a little hard to get around in though.  I love picking on people.  I am in South Mississippi, I do have a full suit, thin, and needs more ventilation.  I try not to wear it much.  Welcome to the forum, and good luck.  Beek is addictive.

Joe

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 05:49:37 pm »
Hea, that full insulated suit could bee good if its air conditoned.  Maybe a little hard to get around in though.  I love picking on people.  I am in South Mississippi, I do have a full suit, thin, and needs more ventilation.  I try not to wear it much.  Welcome to the forum, and good luck.  Beek is addictive.

Joe

It looks like this suit is bee resisted, fully insulated and air conditioned  :-D

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline mdax

• New Bee
    • North Florida Bee Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 02:12:51 pm »
Yea, definitely ventilated...I can't imagine how much water weight I would lose by going outside in anything insulated.
I will probably begin using a ventilated jacket and no gloves on the next inspection, the bees are really mellow, however the full suit is also really great for mosquitoes! 

I'm right next to a river and mosquito defense is a legit reason for a full suit at certain times of the day.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 12:56:32 am »
Like your pic, your dog in bee suit.  My daughter lives in Milton Fla. when down there for Halloween.  They have a Jack Russell, I dresssed him in a bee suit and when with grand kids Trick or Treating, wore my full bee suit and Gorilla gloves.

Joe

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 02:45:56 am »
Mdax,
Welcome to the forum. If your interested, I will sell you a 10 frame medium hive. Please bring 10 frames to trade out and a box to install the frames into.    $100 each. Or if your interested, I will sell you a whole hive, telescoping cover, screen top board, 10 frame medium brood box with queen and bees, screen bottom board and oil pan. $230 each.  I do not use any chemicals and have very few mites. If interested, PM me. We can meet in Taylor FL.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything