Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vista and stuck with image resizing  (Read 3689 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Vista and stuck with image resizing
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:32:16 am »
I now have a new laptop that has Vista.  Eeeks, yep, lots to learn.  Dane has warned me  :-D

I had windows XP, nice.  Used Image Resizer (from MS powertoys site) for resizing my digital camera pictures.  NOw, to find out this image resizer does not work with vista.  Oh brother.

Forum friends, anyone else using vista out there?  I am sure there are many.  Can you give me any clues what is a good image resizer program I can download that is user friendly.  I looked at a few and didn't think too much.

I have lots and lots of pictures (that is a tempter) to bring into the forum, so come on, someone give me a hand with a SIMPLE image resizer program.  Pleeeeeze and thanks.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Vista and stuck with image resizing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:50:54 am »

Offline pttom

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 05:29:26 pm »
This is what I use.  http://irfanview.softwarecenterz.com/   I also have Vista.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 06:25:28 pm »
This is what I use.  http://irfanview.softwarecenterz.com/   I also have Vista.
Irfanview is great, here is a link directly to the Irfanview site.  When you open the picture you want to resize, just go to Image/Resize-resample.  I usually resize to 800x600 for the web, YMMV.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 11:43:44 am »
Ken. tried the program you indicated, couldn't do it.

Ann and pttom.  I have heard of infranview.  Downloaded it.  So...now what.  I am not a computer tech person.  I see nothing anywhere in my folder that I have my forum pictures in to do with any kind of image resizing.

When I used image resizer (power toys for windows), I simply right-clicked on the picture and the image resize in the menu was there, simple as pie.  Baby me along, I even looked in CNETs help, couldn't get help there. Let's see if we can get this happening for me.

OK, been experimenting alittle bit more.  I open a picture in my picture file, and then I have to chose open Infranfiew, then I can do the resize thing.  If this is what has to be done, it is extremely clumbsy, so I must be doing something still wrong.  It appears that every picture I want to resize I have to open the Infranview program.  Any clues, what is my mistake?  Right, and where did the resized picture go, the one in the folder is still 4 MB.  Oh brother, maybe send a personal mail to me or something.   :)

Talk to ya later, have a wonderful day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 01:47:42 pm »
Cindi, yes, the program has to run to do the resizing, but I'll tell you one thing - I used that Powertoy Image Resizer and wasn't happy with the quality of the resize.  If you do both side by side you'll see there is lots of image degradation with the Powertoy as compared to Irfanview.

What you need to do is associate your picture files with Irfanview.  Open the program and go to Options/Set File Associations.  There, on the right-hand side there are three buttons - Select All, Images Only, Clear All.  Click the Images Only button.  You will be asked are you sure?  Say yes and it will be set to open images for you.  Then you can resize by just clicking on the picture, it'll open in Irfanview, select Image/Resize-Resample and go from there.  Yes it's one extra step, but the image quality will be better than how you were doing it before (not that I ever saw a big problem with your pics, it's just an experiment I did between the two, and when compared side by side, the difference was glaring.  Plus the Irfanview pictures were a few bytes smaller than the Powertoy pictures).

Once you've resized the picture you need to save it.  If you just close the program the picture isn't saved in the new size.  I always save it as a copy, anyways, because I don't want to resize the original.

If you need any more help let me know and I'll try to help.