Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Amdro and Fire Ants  (Read 19154 times)

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Re: Amdro and Fire Ants
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 03:12:11 pm »
Good info here and I needed it. Thanks.

Offline GBov

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 12:53:53 pm »
Does Amdro kill everything or just ants?  And of ants is it just Fire Ants or all ants?

I dont want to kill all our ants, they are mostly native and do very little harm, either to us or our bees but the fire ants  :hissyfit:

Maaaaan, most hated critter in my yard!
I have a great time with my inner child, its my inner adult I can't seem to find!

Offline BlevinsBees

• House Bee
    • Habitat for Honeybees
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 02:28:23 pm »
We have those little black Argentine ants that show up by the thousands once they smell honey in a hive. I've used Amdro ant block and it seems to stop the bulk of the infestation but never completely rids them. Honey bees are not attracted to Amdro and from what I've seen, they totally ignore it.

A buddy of mine just showed me his way of dealing with ants. He fills empty tuna cans with Tanglefoot and then turns them upside down and places them over wooden dowels. (The dowels are screw into the hive stand from the bottom). He then rest his hives on top of the bottoms of the tuna cans with re-enforced framing. Rain can't get in because the tuna cans are upside down and the Tanglefoot stays put as well. He hasn't had any ant problem in years. 
President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 02:30:12 am »

What I do for fire ants,  get "Home Defense" in a gallon jug.  You stir or kick the top off the mound and spray it.  You won't have any for awhile, maybe a couple of months or so.  And you don't want armadillos, but they are fun to shoot.  If you don't have any fire ants and would like some come on down there's plenty down south.

Joe

anything