Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another new Texan checking in  (Read 2160 times)

Offline goldtom

• Brood
Another new Texan checking in
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:57:30 am »
I am a 3rd year beekeeper, with only one hive, adding a second super right away.  Was so dry last year that I didn't harvest any honey, and when I opened the hive this spring to re-queen, I noticed three things right away:
1) the super was so heavy with honey that I thought it was stuck in place.
2) there was honey dripping out of the super frames because it was already in the mid to high 90's.
3) the bees were a bit more hostile than last year (oops, I think I waited too long to re-queen and I got Africanized - no problem new queen will take care of this soon) and even followed me from the hive into the house.
3A) When wearing very loose fitting thick clothing you may overheat, but you don't get stung.

I am now looking to build a 2-frame extractor and will start harvesting honey soon.  That is if the whole darn place doesn't dry up and blow away this year.
Tom

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Another new Texan checking in
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:16:17 am »
Hello and Welcome Tom
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny 

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 06:07:07 pm »
Welcome goldtom, good luck with the bees.
Bobby

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:39:02 pm »
...I may put a Texas flag in my yard; I haven't lived there since I was a kid, but I have 2 sons living there now.
(Texans are the only people I have seen who move to another state entirely and put up a lone star flag. - i.e. you never see someone come to Fl. and put up a jersey flag.)
welcome.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 09:46:39 pm »
Hey Goldtom! where are you in Tx? west?...Im in wichita falls...You actually shoukld put your location in your profile...That way people will give you information here pertaining to your area.
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 10:49:44 am »
Tom, welcome to our forum, this will be a great place for you to hang around, nice about the honey thing eh?  Stick around, we love new members, it will be a place where you can share your stories, tales, experiences, and make some new friends.  Have a most wonderful day, to love and live this great life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service