Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings and Felicitations from Cow Hampshire  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
Greetings and Felicitations from Cow Hampshire
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:29:47 am »
Hello from the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. My grandfather kept bees, and a few years ago a couple friends with bees talked me into making the leap. Started with some misgivings, but the more I learn the more fascinated I become.

Currently have eight hives in three locations. Warres, Langstroths (8-frame mediums, thanks Michael Bush) with foundationless frames, and one horizontal top bar. The biggest problem by far has been bears. I'm more of a bearfeeder than a beekeeper.

Have made pilgrimages to meet and buy bees from Sam Comfort and Kirk Webster. Had good intentions to make the Treatment Free Beekeeping Conferences both this year and last, but life happened and you know which path is paved with good intentions.

Looking forward to meeting kindred spirits and learning more about feeding bears.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:00:23 am by buzzbee »

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Greetings and Felicitations from Cow Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 01:23:38 pm »
I absolutely hate bears. Around here they have been put on a pedestal and are a real nuisance. Our wildlife division traps them from a state park about two hours away and brings them here to drop off. They are nuisance bears, completely unafraid of people. Our county has already suffered a fatality due a bear attack on a small child but yet they keep bringing them.

A tad bit greasy but still tastes pretty good  :evil:

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 02:44:25 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Nice picture, it looks like you have an amazing home.

What have you tried to discourage the bears? Fences? Electric Fences? We don't have very many bear problems down in the Carolinas, at least not in the rural areas. It's good to keep in touch with methods to prevent potential problems though, in case I ever end up moving.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 07:18:09 pm »
Welcome to the forum and with bears, I find lead works best.

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 07:48:28 pm »
I've eaten a couple bears, but like deer and moose, they never seem to be around when you really want them to be.

Peppered one's butt with birdshot last summer in an attempt to 'train' it, but that hardly seemed to get its attention. As my veterinarian said, "They have a whole different threshold of pain than you and I. They like eating bees."

Usually they're a problem in the early spring and late fall. In the summer they have other nutritional requirements and other sources of food.

Lately there's been a big sow with two cubs and a small sow with one cub hanging around the neighborhood, even in the daylight. I'd be willing to bet that someone in the area is feeding them. I bought an electric fence and should have it up in the next few days.

I also try not to put all my eggs in one basket. One hive is in the second story window of a friend's barn (problem: can't take a smoker in there). Another is at a friends place right in town. A third is about to go in a friend's chain-link enclosed apiary.

Also had a red fox messing with my hives lately. Wouldn't have believed it, but I got a picture on a game camera.

Offline Robee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 03:05:59 pm »
I grew up in "Moo Hampshire" myself.  I live in Virginia and bears are plentiful here too.  I totaled a '96 Dodge Ram on my way to work one morning.  The airbag went off, the bear flew through the air, he shook off and ran off.  My truck had to be towed, and I think all we both got were headaches.  I like the pic with the bear so nicely balanced.  One crossed in front of me one evening and he hopped up on a 3 board fence and just balanced there till I went by.  I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.
I have Top Bar Hives and Langstroths, all foundationless.  I am going to cut down some boxes or make new ones this year so I can put any new swarms into 8 frame hives next year.  I think MB has something there.

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 02:33:01 am »
haha, folks on Roasted Bear and Peppered Bear!  :evil:

Well, hope they will stay far, far away! Congrats on your Bee expansion!

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 10:45:24 am »
Welcome to the forum Oblio13.  :cheer:

You also Robee.  :cheer:

Try smoking the bear with apple wood and add a little honey glaze.   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.