Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What predators do you have to deal with?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
What predators do you have to deal with?
« on: April 23, 2006, 03:18:01 am »
Well Im fascinated at all of the trouble people have with predators on their hives. Especially Bears! not having any here its really amzazing to me that yall have to deal with them.

Id like everyone to list what they have to deal with. Be an eye opener I reckon.

My predators at the moment are nil. The dogs knocked the lid off one night when I forst got my bees but I think they came to an understanding as they leave each other alone.

So theres Bears and Dogs, what else?

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 08:46:31 am »
A skunk has scratched at the back of my hives, but never had any real damages.  Worse though is the deer coming in and eating the new shoots from our apple trees and in our perennial field, and groundhogs eating in our mum field.  We've ordered a couple "critter gitters" and hope they work.

-- Kris

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 11:46:44 am »
My biggest problem was skunks.  Mice was next with a few opposums that wanted to eat bees.  Top entrances resolved all of those.  Horses are sure hard on equiment if they can get to it, especially if there's any honey left in it.  They will eat the equipment.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 08:11:21 pm »
I haven't had preditor problems yet but the fire ants seem to wait just below the hive and eat any bees that hit the ground quicker than you can say "hey,, is that a dead bee?".
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 08:18:01 pm »
My wife.

Oh you meant predators that go after my bees. I have deal with lizards, spiders, birds, toads, and I have a baby opposum that has come buy a couple of times but it hasn't been an issue.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything