Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How common is AFB in Victoria?  (Read 3292 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
How common is AFB in Victoria?
« on: August 16, 2010, 02:06:29 am »
Hi Everybody,

I was just wondering how common is AFB? Is it something that is a serious concern i.e. easy to get or is it something simply to be vigilant with? I made up a nucleus hive the other day and they've kicked out a few pupae from the front entrance (only three) - one had their tongue sticking out - but their colour and form was fine, no odour, all of the cappings on the brood frames are fine, the donor hive is fine - i think it's just general hygienic behaviour post releasing the introduced queen and in preparation for her laying - but it got me wondering. Also, i would assume it's normal habit for them to 'evict' dead brood - i only noticed it because of the way i have the hive positioned - but what would be a 'normal' eviction rate? a few here and there?

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
Re: How common is AFB in Victoria?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 03:41:10 am »
I think a strong, healthy colony will evict any dead bees or brood. They may take them further from the hive than you can notice them.

If they died of cold or squashing when you made the nuc, the bees would remove them. Also they could've decided to remove them for economic reasons.
Were they drone brood or bee brood?
I made some splits with uncapped queen cells and the bees removed or ate a lot of brood. I figure this is to free up bees and food to give maximum care to the queen cells.

American Foulbrood can destroy colonies here in Australia. Once you get it, it's bad news. I've heard of it in SE QLD. Not really sure how common it is anywhere.
Good luck.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: How common is AFB in Victoria?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:26:09 am »
HAs anybody ever noticed the thoraxes eaten out on the dead brood? Why would that happen?

anything