Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Common Practice?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Common Practice?
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:08:08 pm »
Do you normally run all frames through a freezer before storing over winter? I will have some with comb and some that I cut the comb out of and scrapped as clean as I could(really old dark stiff comb). I really don't want any nasty surprises next spring.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Common Practice?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 10:15:48 pm »
I freeze it all before.  We never did back in the day, but now I do.  I also don't scrap or clean any of the frames either.  I do let the bees rob out any honey after extraction, but then a couple days in a deep freezer and then into the cooler for next spring. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Common Practice?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:47:39 am »
It freezes outside here... no need for a freezer...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything