Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee types  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
Bee types
« on: July 03, 2009, 08:53:46 am »
Only been keeping bees a few years.  I know there are different types of honey bees.  We have one hive that all appear to have huge honeybees.  At first I thought they were all drones, but the drones are even bigger than the girls!  Even the babies are big!  And this hive is a bit more "fussy" than the other 5 we have.  I always wear a veil around this group. 

I believe (but can't swear) that this hive came from Betterbee.  We have had it for 3 years now.  Is there an easy way to determine type of bee?  Do I need to?

Peg
We love the girls...

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: Bee types
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:55:11 am »
Do a Google you can find pictures of the breeds.

" Even the babies look big "

There are no " baby bees", bees are born fully grown !
 The hardening of the exoskelton and fluffing out of the hairs within a few hours can make them look a tad larger. [ Source- Hive Management p. 52 ]

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 10:40:15 am »
Do a Google you can find pictures of the breeds.
Bee-Bop
Then a few links won't be difficult. My Google searches have beeen unproductive in this area.

" Even the babies look big "

There are no " baby bees", bees are born fully grown !
Bee-Bop
Someone forgot to tell my bees this. I have bees within the same hive that are quite a bit different in size, but are marked the same. And the stings are quite a bit differet as well. The "younger" bees I've been stung and not felt it at all - had I not been watching, I wouldn't have known it. Others have felt like molten lead being poured on my arm. We've been attributing this to the age and development of the venom.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 11:18:21 am »
>Is there an easy way to determine type of bee?  Do I need to?

No need to know. Most probably a mix after open mating anyway. As long as you are fond of them --- they be keepers ;)!
John 3:16