Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mite roll  (Read 4992 times)

Offline TJ

• New Bee
Mite roll
« on: October 04, 2004, 04:01:22 pm »
Does anybody check for mites by doing the ether roll in a jar? I did one this weekend and found one mite on about 20 bees. I know I am supposed to test more bees than that, but I had trouble getting them to stay in the dang jar :) . Well, one mite on 20 bees doesn't seem like too heavy of an infestation, so I think I will forego any treatment this fall. I may do another roll in a week or two to see if I get similar results.

Anonymous

Mite roll
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 06:34:33 pm »
You need to test with more bees. About 1/2 pint. To get them make yourself a paper funnel. Shake bees into the funnel from a frame. You should get more than you need this way - just let the excess esacpe.

Offline ibeecanadian

• New Bee
Mite roll
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 10:51:06 pm »
im going to try this out come spring, but i think ill use icing sugar instead. in not totaly shure what ether is... isnt it a gas or something to that efect?

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Mite roll
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 08:30:29 am »
ether is a liquid, a VERY flammable, Much more than gasoline.
And it can be hard to get as it can be used in processing drugs.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Mite roll
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 08:31:06 am »
Did I say very flammable?
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline ibeecanadian

• New Bee
Mite roll
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 07:34:15 pm »
o.k, so i guess it should be kept away from the smoker :shock:  
so it kinda sounds like icing sugar would be better, im just thinking of the poor bee's in the jar. sounds like they would have a better chance of survival after the prosses. has anyone tried both ways? do you get the same results with ether as you would with icing sugar?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Mite roll
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 12:29:02 pm »
Starter fluid used for diesel engines,  get it at your local auto parts store.  Though I would suggest a less dangerous method, there are plenty of them out there.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Mite roll
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 04:28:16 pm »
Quote from: Robo
Starter fluid used for diesel engines,  get it at your local auto parts store.  Though I would suggest a less dangerous method, there are plenty of them out there.

Ether starter fluid in a spray can is easy. Ether Roll
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
Mite roll
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 01:12:35 pm »
The only problem with the ether roll method: it kills all bees in the jar immediately  :(
i switched to confection sugar roll. Bees love me for it now :wink:

anything