Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Hurt Locker  (Read 3358 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
The Hurt Locker
« on: July 30, 2009, 03:00:18 pm »
Just saw this a few days ago and I'm not sure if I really see the "Movie pitch hype" that is bombing the airwaves.

I follows a bomb disposal (first responder, typically in residential areas of Iraq) and his adrenalyn needs - yes he feel great satisfaction in what he does, knows how important his job is and cares for his team - although his need for a rush often puts then in dangerous cituations.

The film is shot with that home cam look (a bit of shaky cam to give you a feeling of being there) and most the time it works, it has a fairly brief appearance of David Morse (one of my favorite actors) even that film where he and BJork sang through the whole thing was a bit strangely spell-binding.

We only get a glimpes of the main charactors home life in Hurt Locker, I see the irony of his life is supposed to be justified in a single flashback which propels us into seeing his chosen future. Not sure if I liked it, which few movies leave me feeling that way.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: The Hurt Locker
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 03:07:40 pm »
saw the interview with one of they guys embedded with this team.  the story is a composite of the real people, but he said the events were pretty true to life.  they wanted to show what the job was like and what kind of person it took to do it.
i have not seen the movie yet, but know some who have.  i think the best description of how they felt after was "unsettled".  to me, that's not a bad thing.  i'll let you know what i think when i get the chance to see it  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:16:16 pm »
I saw a preview and caught the last half of the preview. It looked pretty good the part I saw but i wasnt sure what they were going after in the movie. Who knows maybe i will drop 10 bucks to see it

Keith

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 05:29:13 pm »
Kathy is right, it is told from a soldiers prospective, which I can no more understand than that of a bagpipe player breaking his previous record for sustaining his longest single note. You have to relate, except for the obvious melancholy he feels in the glorious free country he protects.

I'm a big net surfer and don't spend much time in theaters - finding movies out there is as simple as pie these days, so I just use the resources of the net to bring entertainment to my TV. I do like the 16 frames per second look and grainy film antiquing of war movies, from Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers and such - but I'd wait yntil DVD on this one unless you feel compelled to see a glum slice of reality.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.