Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Moths vs. Honeybees  (Read 3140 times)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Wax Moths vs. Honeybees
« on: August 30, 2009, 11:25:17 am »
I discovered  one of my hives yesterday to be abandoned ( just a few dead bees on the bottom board, none of which is the queen ) where just a few weeks ago it was robust. There were at least 9 frames of severe damage and globs of worms in the 2 deeps and 3 frames in the medium super above, also signs of robbing or signs that the original occupants just took the stores with them ( chewed up wax and rough edged combs ). I am thinking the wax moths moved in afterwards.  :-\

My questions: Can wax moths push out the bees or is it the bees just don't tolerate them and abscond ?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Wax Moths vs. Honeybees
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 11:49:04 am »
My experience has been that wax moths take over when a hive gets weak or has to much space for the number of bees. When the worms take over, the bees abscond. I have never seen wax moths in a strong packed hive.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:50:03 am »
Wax moths take over when a hive becomes weak, usually because it swarmed out, or been robbed, animals got to the hive, whatever. A healthy colony can fight off wax moth and keep them at bay.

Your colony had some type of problem or swarmed out, then the wax moth showed up.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:01:30 pm »
How does the weather affect these type of infestations?
Is it worse at one time of year than another?
The cooler weather is coming soon, will waxmoths die off and then the adults possibly reinfest next year or do they overwinter in the hives?
I guess the same question could apply to the small hive beetles?
Just trying to be alert.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 12:04:11 pm »
I've just counted 6 empty queen cells on the bottom frames of the bottom deep, looks like swarm city and then the last of them absconded.  :? I normally do not check for queens cells in the spring & summer because I tend to let the bees do what they want and I do not have the time for prevention and splits, it looks like a change in management is due for 2010.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 12:07:50 pm »
Once a full blown wax moth infestation sets in, the deed is pretty much done. Your equipment is a mess, there's fermented honey, thick webbing throughout and the larvae can even damage woddenware. But have no fear, extreme cold, freezing temps or below, kills everything and your equipment can be cleaned and reused.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 12:33:07 pm »
It's a MESS alright  :shock:

anything