Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Top Feeders  (Read 9629 times)

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Hive Top Feeders
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:00:30 pm »
Anyone using the "G55 One piece hive top feeder " or the "G57 Hive Top Feeder for 5 Frame Nuc" sold by Rossman Apiaries?  The documentation states "Set the feeder directly on the top of the hive, then place the inner cover on top of the feeder. Bees come up inside the feeder to the syrup. Floaters prevent drowning."

What are "Floaters"
Did they work well?

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
Re: Hive Top Feeders
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:09:09 pm »
I have an easy one for you!

Build I migratory cover, drill some holes in it the size of mason jar lids, and feed the syrup just as you would in the case of an entrance feeder, just at the top of the hive, away from other robbing bees!  They're easy to fill without disrupting the bees too!

If you don't have the means to build one, send me a PM.  I just got the special size drill bit for this, and making the covers is not too difficult.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:31:17 pm »
Been feeding with three one quart mason jars each hive.  It works well.  Just need something with a little more volume.  About a gallon to make it through those times when when we're on the road for more than a week. 

Offline Windy Ridge Apiary

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:09:39 pm »
Mann-Lake has a full plastic feeder with lots of capacity that fits inside a super, the bees enter a screened area in the middle of the feeder which makes more sense than the ends when its cold outside.
Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
Proverbs 16:23-25

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:26:49 am »
Anyone using the "G55 One piece hive top feeder " or the "G57 Hive Top Feeder for 5 Frame Nuc" sold by Rossman Apiaries?  The documentation states "Set the feeder directly on the top of the hive, then place the inner cover on top of the feeder. Bees come up inside the feeder to the syrup. Floaters prevent drowning."

What are "Floaters"
Did they work well?

Floaters are usually some sort of cork material or another kind of material that floats on top of the sugar syrup. The bees come up and sit on the floaters and drink the syrup and do not drown.

I do not know this feeder as I have the Mann Lake Feeder. I am happy with the Mann Lake except had to modify it so the bees do not drown.

Offline BEEMAN

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 06:10:26 pm »
Hello Justgojumpit
I have been reading you postings  on Hive Top Feeders and found this one where you purchased a special drill bit to drill the holes for the mason jar covers for top feeding. Can you advise me what the size is for the bit and where you were able to find it? I purchased a number of migratory covers for top feeding my packages and swarms this spring and need to drill the holes for the mason jar covers. It would be so much easier if I had the exact size drill bit for the holes. BEEMAN

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 02:00:22 pm »
I use a 2-3/4" drill bit.  It fits the regular mason jar lids.  It is a little tight at first but not too bad.

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 03:06:10 pm »
I don't remember the size to be honest, but 2-3/4 sounds about right.  I had to search on ebay for it.  If the lids fit a little too tight, you can always buzz the inside of the hole with a router.  You want most of the lid to go through, but not the rolled-up edge.

justgojumpit

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 09:35:05 pm »
I have an easy one for you!

Build I migratory cover, drill some holes in it the size of mason jar lids, and feed the syrup just as you would in the case of an entrance feeder, just at the top of the hive, away from other robbing bees!  They're easy to fill without disrupting the bees too!

If you don't have the means to build one, send me a PM.  I just got the special size drill bit for this, and making the covers is not too difficult.

justgojumpit

This is what I do and it works great.  I have one extra jar ready.  Take one off and ready with another in its place.  Usually, I can do it fast enough that no bees escape.  You could put some #8 hardware screen on to keep them from getting out.  It is easy to see if they need refilling too.

I do have a suggestion.  Don't put it right in the middle (from front to back) as you may want to strap the hives together to move them and you want that strap in the middle. 

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 09:51:43 pm »
I put the hole in a corner, because if you want to use the cover on a 2x5 nuc box, you can drill another hole in the opposite corner, and have one feeder for each nuc in a 10 frame box.  I like my equipment to be as universal as possible!  This would also leave room for the strap.

justgojumpit

Offline BearCreekBees

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 08:25:41 pm »
I made a bunch of migratory covers with feeder holes in them one time. The bit I used was the same size used for making door knob holes on doors. I don't have it handy so I can't check the size, but they make 2-3 different "standard" sizes for doorknob installation. Mine came from Home Depot and wasn't terribly expensive.

Offline theriverhawk

• House Bee
    • Young Life of Shelby County, AL
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 09:28:27 pm »
So, I have to ask...are you using an inner cover with these homemade/drilled hive top feeders?

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 05:43:51 pm »
I made mine in migratory covers, so no I didn't use this with an inner cover.

anything