Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Poison ivy request  (Read 3325 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Poison ivy request
« on: October 09, 2005, 03:54:40 am »
Hi all!!!

I was talking to a neighbour down the street and they asked me if I had any poison ivy honey they could get.  The day before I was at a nutritional health store getting wintergreen and lemongrass oils.  When asked I explained lemongrass oil (which had to be ordered) was for luring swarms next year.  The store owner asked if I had honey she could sell.  I said maybe next year and she said she would buy and sell as much raw honey as I could get her.  Weird back to back like that, huh?

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Poison ivy request
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 06:41:55 am »
Sounds familiar. I went into a health food store to get lemon grass oil and asked about their honey situation. I found out that there are about five stores in Lubbock and they are begging for honey, (natural, raw) Their supplier of local honey has moved to Arkansas and they are left empty handed. As I am just starting this year I didn't have much to sell to them but did manage to come up with ten eight ounce jars that one store bought from me at $2.50 each. Maybe next year I'll get rich :D  Yeah right.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline ConfedMarine

• New Bee
Poison ivy request
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 09:52:03 am »
What is the difference between "raw" and "natural" honey. Also, I was watching a show called "Dirty Jobs" on either TLC or A&E. The host was doing a segment on a beekeeper in Oregon. They were selling honey at a farmers market and the beekeeper told the host not to say that the honey was organic. How can honey not be organic?
It is not what you think you are, but what you think, you are.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Poison ivy request
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 10:34:42 am »
For honey to be organic I think everything grown within the flight distance of the bees has to be grown organically.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Matz

• New Bee
Poison ivy request
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 03:57:52 pm »
Had a couple of questions about the wintergreen and the essential lemon grass oil.  I'm assuming the wintergreen is for trachea mites???  And have you had good success with the lemon grass oil?  I tried it this summer, but without any success...  Thanks

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Poison ivy request
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 08:06:20 am »
>Had a couple of questions about the wintergreen and the essential lemon grass oil. I'm assuming the wintergreen is for trachea mites???

No.  It's to boost their immune system and help with the Varroa mites.

> And have you had good success with the lemon grass oil?

As swarm lure?  Yes.  To quickly set off robbing?  Yes.  ;)  It should have roughly the same effect as the wintergreen.

> I tried it this summer, but without any success...

Define sucess?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Anonymous

Poison ivy request
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 01:32:01 pm »
Quote from: ConfedMarine
How can honey not be organic?

I believe that if you use chemicals to treat your bees, your honey would not qualify as "organic".  Putting the label "organic" on food sure does hike up the price!   :shock: