Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Atlas Shrugged  (Read 8335 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Atlas Shrugged
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:37:18 am »
it's on netflix now.  part two will be out soon, so i thought i ought to get to part one  :) 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Atlas Shrugged
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:43:19 am »
it's on netflix now.  part two will be out soon, so i thought i ought to get to part one  :) 

Movies never do a book justice,  but more folks will be willing to watch the movie than read a 1200 page book.

Everyone should see Part 1 & 2 before the election :-)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 03:36:38 pm »
I was quite young when I read Atlas Shrugged - one of my first lengthy books, along with The Stand a few years later and a great Robert McCammon book called Swan Song.

I saw part one of Atlas Shrugged months back and waiting on part two - I seem to remember the book being more political than business, I think I might be getting some of the content confused with the Foundation series (these Issomov books were incredible Galactic political stories) my innocent mind found such politics on such a scale mind blowing, but then along came the Internet years later, an made our planet very small - I guess technology could someday be said for galaxies.

Of course, I was real young, in my young teens and I can't remember if distant communications took place instantly or obeyed radio-waves traveling at the speed of light. If the radio-wave concept was somehow removed from interstellar politics, then the time it would take to talk from one galactic center to another would take many years per transmission at the very least. Of course I'm trying to remember if they traveled at StarTrek or faster speeds in the Foundation books either? I'm sure all that was a given that we could zoom around the Universe at will and just as easily have wars and battle for sectors of galaxies as easily as we send missiles across the globe today.

So come on part two, I enjoyed part one a lot.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:32:52 am »
finished part 1 last night.  have to say, they did as good a job with that as a movie can.  the book was so very detailed with what was going on in government and business. all the behind the scenes stuff that a movie just can't capture. 

looking forward the part 2!

still recommend that the book be read!!   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:10:43 am »
"Of course I'm trying to remember if they traveled at StarTrek or faster speeds in the Foundation books either?"

They had hyper-drive.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 12:13:18 pm »
they traveled fast  :-D  i am going back and starting with the prequels to the series.  i suspect i'll end up doing the whole thing, especially if i can get them on audio.  i'm reading (hard cover) Forward The Foundation right now. 

it was a CSI episode that reminded me about the series in the first place!  it's been years and the second time around is as good as the first.  don't know if i'll go back and do the robot books again.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:56:09 pm »
sounded like a good idea Kathy, just downloaded the 7 book Foundation series on audiobook - I could use a break from podcasts - haven't done an audiobook in a while.

Book 1 - Foundation
Book 2 - Foundation and Empire
Book 3 - Second Foundation
Book 4 - Foundation's Edge
Book 5 - Foundation and Earth
Book 6 - Prelude to Foundation
Book 7 - Forward the Foundation

I'm sure half of these I did not read.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 03:07:24 pm »
be sure to do Prelude to Foundation and Forward The Foundation  i think both were written later than the original series and i had not read either.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 01:54:12 am »
Not csi but criminal minds

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 01:24:25 am »
"Who is John Gault???"...I watched the first part and didnt realize it was part one...It ended when it was really comin together!!..Then as I was disappointed, I saw the DVD cover....."Part One", right on the front! I'll probably have to watch part one over so I can catch up with part 2!
your friend,
john

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 06:35:54 pm »
Watched Part 1 today. Now i want to see part 2. Glad You guys brought this one up. :)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 06:37:41 pm »
When is part 2 coming out on disc?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 07:53:50 pm »
I have not seen it with available dates yet. It is still new in theatres.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 10:33:06 am »
Sounds interesting--just put the book on hold at my library in Playaway format and have the first part DVD on hold for after I'm done with the book.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 12:15:03 pm »
it is a long book but it holds your attention.  last time i did it, i did the audio version. yes, book first on this one.  to many details that didn't fit into the movie.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 12:18:45 pm »
Yes,  read or listen to the book.  Although the movie was OK,  it didn't do justice to the book.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 12:20:59 pm »
I got the unabridged version, read by Scott Brick. I love his interpretation in all the books he's read.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 01:26:34 pm »
Who is John Gault?
Perhaps we need to follow his ideology as portrayed in the movie!
Part two is on netflix as well as part one. Watched part two yesterday.
Seems eerily relevant  to today!

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 08:03:26 am »
Atlas Shrugged?  IMHO; A good read when in your late teens or 20's, before full adulthood and getting involved with world  ;). 

I prefer the Fountainhead as a novel myself and some of her non-fiction is…….interestingly disturbing to say the least.

Rand wrote some intriguing, compelling books in her day but she was bat-crazy philosophically.  She fit in with the John Birch Society very well, not absolutely certain whether she was a member or not, maybe a secret member :shock:.  but her words tell us where her support was (came from).

But lets not be fooled, she didn't truly believe or especially adhere to much of what she wrote……..IMO, her purpose was to sell books…..controversial books most of all, and not all of them were fiction as 'Paul Ryan and Rand Paul' would tell us  ;).
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 10:55:00 am »
i love your posts T.  you throw a lot of stuff out, but don't bother to give examples or back up what you say.  and no, i don't expect you to this time either...except to go on some ramble about how if any of us were smart enough, we'd figure it out on our own.

no one thinks that the book, or any of her's should be taken as bible.  the writings are extreme enough to get our attention, and yes, to have sold.  they do accomplish getting us to think.  if they have done nothing else, they are valuable for that reason.

anything