Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NewBee "I want to know everything there is to know about BeeKeeping"  (Read 2757 times)

Offline countrycruisers

• New Bee
Hello Everyone..

My name is Steve and My wifes name is Gayla.  We are Truckers and will be coming off the road in about a year and when we do we will be putting together a nursery and an apiaries in our back yard.  We don't hope to make a living at it at first, if at all, but it is something we both enjoy and want to at least make a hobby of it.  Until then we will just be doing research and learning as much as we can..   I am hoping to make a few friends here that are willing to share their BeeKeeping experiences with me.  If you would like to be my friend I would love to learn all you know about the art of keeping bee's.  8-)

Thanks
Steve

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: NewBee "I want to know everything there is to know about BeeKeeping"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:33:32 pm »
Welcome Steve & Gayla.  You will get so much information & make many friends here, ask 2 questions & get 15 different solutions! You will fall in love with your bees.  It's amazing that you can become so attached & protective over a box-o-bugs!
The world needs more plants, bees & the people to nurture both! Have you read any books?  Backyard Beekeeper, Beekeeping for Dummies & many others. I've read tons but don't remember the particular names, others here will know! Go to the library & check out an armful.  You won't need all the info but will get the basic facts & a feel for different styles & methods.  All the info here on the forum is invaluable, you can pick & choose what will work for you & get ideas & answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet!  The search function is great, immediate info for questions. Again Welcome!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 12:47:12 pm »
Welcome to the site, there's tons of info here you can absorb, may I suggest you read Michael Bush's Beginner's section. He has good advice. Here's a link: http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm

Its one thing to read up but when you start keeping bees that's when the real learning takes place. Don't be afraid to make mistakes when y'all start, this is one of the best ways to learn as the saying goes, if you're not making mistakes, you're not learning, of course unless you keep repeating the same ones over and again.

Here on this site we feed off of each other and you are quite welcome to jump right in, you will have a bank of knowledge here at all times, so you'll never be completely in the dark.

Good luck with your journey!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:38:08 pm »
   Welcome and good luck! :-D

A benefit for me, in addition to the folks I've met online, is someone who can take you personally through the hive.  A local bee club may be an option I highly recommend.  I am currently a member of two local clubs and my areas I try and keep bees at are in flat land delta areas and rocky shale covered foothills.  One club is primarily one area and the other is in the middle of the other.  The members have been more than helpful and have never tried to 'bully' their opinions or styles on anyone.  Both are excited when kids show up and I have learned much with their hands on guidance this year. 

Otherwise I recommend books and video and highly recommend this site and others.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 02:58:05 pm »
Steve, welcome to our forum and what a beautiful little diddy about you and your wife, Gayla.  Coming off the road to keep a nursery and apiary, how cool is that.  I had a nursery I operated for many years too, it was a work of love, and I still am into horticulture and bees too, they go hand in hand.  You will love that day when you can set your trucks aside, go to the nature of the flowers and bees.  That will be your lucky day. 

Enjoy our forum, this will be the key to learning and getting to know how to really work hard to keep bees, knowledge is such a wonderful thing.  And yes....you will make new friends, this is the most wonderful place on earth to do that thing, we are like a family here, these things you will find out.  Welcome.  Have this wonderful day as yours, to live as there was no tomorrow.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 05:03:44 pm »
>"I want to know everything there is to know about BeeKeeping"

So do I.  I'm still working on it 34 years after I started for the goal.  You'll never run out of things to learn.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 05:21:53 pm »
Welcome to the best beekeeping forum on the internet.  In wanting to learn about bees, since you travel, haunt used bookstores for old beekeeping books.  I recently picked up 1938 edition of First lessons in Beekeeping by C. P. Dadant.  It's a wealth of info aimed at the beginner and simplistic.  Since it was written long before the advent of Tracheal or Varroa mites, Small Hive Beetle, and other scourges it focuses on the essential basics. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline beekybuzzard

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 07:18:37 pm »
Welcome from another driver who got back off the road to do the home thing. Lots of info and friendly help here.
With the help of the Lord I hope to be a good and faithful Shepard to all that He allows me to attend.

anything