Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Site for new hive  (Read 3700 times)

Offline AyeBee

• New Bee
Site for new hive
« on: January 15, 2014, 11:55:29 pm »
While I'm waiting for the paint on my first hive to dry (shouldn't take long in this 45-50c heat, 113-122F for those reading this outside Australia), I'm trying to decide on the best location for the hive.

I've read a lot on which way it should face (I'm beginning to think that's not extremely important), but what I can't quite figure out is if I should be looking for shade, or direct sunlight. Some people seem to suggest full sun is the way to go, which is probably good for the cooler months, but with our hot dry summers here, I'm not sure if I should be chasing shade for the hive too?

I live in a rural area on a small property, so I'm not limited to a suburban backyard situation. I can place it directly in the sun in a paddock, or under some shade. That shade however is also there during the winter months. The outside temps here regularly reach in the high 40's during summer.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
Re: Site for new hive
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:21:26 pm »
Hey AyeBee, I live in Dubbo NSW and have a similar climate to you all my Hives 23 now are in full Sun. They do beard a fair bit on hot days but a Commercial Bee Keeper mate told me full Sun is best as they can control their environment.  He also said that its best to have the entrances not facing South as that's the direction of cold winter winds.

My hives are doing well and on my last inspection I only saw two SHB Small Hive Beetles.

Cheers
Steve

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 05:49:27 pm »
I have mine facing full sun (SE for me) in the morning, and in the shade (tree) from about 4:30 on. I find the sun helps keep the SHB count down (at least that is what my club thinks). My mite count has always been low but I wish I knew why.   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:28:22 pm »
If possible, with the temps you are having, consider putting it where it gets shade for part of the day. Personally, I would put it in the shade, at least until it gets established, especially if you are starting it from a package.

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:03:47 pm »
Full sun is the way to go. In the extremely hot weather we are experiencing make sure they have close access to clean cool water.

Offline AyeBee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:47:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies. This helps narrow it down to where the best position is likely to be now.

I'll be definetly keeping mine protected from the south (I also get strong cold winds from the south in Winter).

Cheers!

Andy

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 09:07:59 pm »
I wouldn't be leaving it in full sun with the temperatures we've been getting, it is possible to for the wax to melt and pretty much destroy the hive.

anything