Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee brood in honey super  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
Bee brood in honey super
« on: April 30, 2015, 05:03:02 am »
So I am wettsun21 (posting under my bf Royall) as to what the heck we should do about checking the frames in our honey super? If I had a glass hive I could see that there was brood and would leave them alone. But, when I take the frames out, the brood comb that's attached to the bottom box tears and the brood cells become destroyed! I am so upset by killing them and I don't know what to do. Yes, we are going to get an excluder, but in the meantime, when we check the frames by lifting them out we risk pulling apart brood :-(
What to do???????????

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Bee brood in honey super
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 08:26:05 am »
It's just burr between the boxes.  You will kill them.  They are probably drone brood.  Not that I'm into purposefully destroying drone brood, but that's just the way it is.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
Re: Bee brood in honey super
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 08:53:25 am »
You can keep the drone brood between frames to minimum if you put a foundationless or drone cell frame in the brood box. The bad thing is it turns the hive into a drone factory till the hive is satisfied with the drone population, which in turn turns it into a mite factory, be prepared to treat.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!