Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee packages and mediums--  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
Bee packages and mediums--
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:35:46 am »
All the videos i have watched were installing packages in deeps.  If I am using mediums do I install in a single medium or 2?  I want them to have enough room but not so much they can't keep it warm. Spring is cold here.  I also don't want them to abscond, thinking the hive isn't big enough.  What do you all think?  Anyone have experience with this?   (I'm a newb this year)   Thanks!---Todd

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
Re: Bee packages and mediums--
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:43:23 pm »
I would say that the same rules apply as with deeps. One medium until eight of the ten frames are drawn and then add a second. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in though.

Tim
Tim

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:47:52 am »
I have all mediums and treat the same as if all deeps. Start with one medium and add another as course bee has written.

Good Luck

Annette

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:10:25 am »
I often start packages in five frame medium nucs.  An eight frame medium box is plenty big enough.  The limited space helps them draw wax and keep the brood warm in the chill of spring.  I would add another box as soon as that one is 80% full.  My formula is more like this.  Anytime the existing space is 80% full, you can double the space.  So if your first 10 frame medium box is 80% full add another.  When the two are 80% full add two boxes.  When those are 80% full add four boxes...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:55:56 am »
Thanks for the help everyone.... kind of what I thought but since I'm new its good to hear it from experienced keepers.  I appreciate all the willingness to help from you all.---Todd

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 12:44:33 pm »
It helps when you install a package to put an empty hive box (no frames - just the box) on top of the box into which you are dumping the package.  Then the empty box acts like a funnel and keeps the bees going down into the box below instead of out in every direction. 

Then, of course, you remove the empty "funnel" box before you close up your new hive after installation.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 04:43:35 pm »
It helps when you install a package to put an empty hive box (no frames - just the box) on top of the box into which you are dumping the package.  Then the empty box acts like a funnel and keeps the bees going down into the box below instead of out in every direction. 

Then, of course, you remove the empty "funnel" box before you close up your new hive after installation.

Linda T in Atlanta

Great idea Linda, I will have to remember that one!!

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:14:50 pm »
tillie; How long would you wait before removing the empty box and placing inner and outer cover back on?  Sounds perfectly reasonable, need some more detail please :)  Thanks.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 09:35:05 pm »
Soon as you've poured them in, you can remove the empty box - it's only a funnel and like any other funnel, it's job is done when the bees have been poured in.  If you leave it there, they'll start crawling up the sides and using it as a part of their hive!

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 09:00:40 am »
Does this somehow negate or eliminate the practice of removing frames/bars from super when hiving a package?  I'm not sure I understand the logic if not, especially if its immediately removed.  Sorry for being so obtuse ;)

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

anything