Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dish  (Read 6025 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Dish
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:20:08 pm »
I have finally decided to get away from s-l-o-w  d-i-a-l  u-p.
Need some input on what some of you are using other than D S L.
I want a system that will have "unlimited" use.
I am looking at Wild Blue. Is there anymore other than it and Hugues out there?
Need Help.
doak

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Dish
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:31:53 pm »
We have several wireless options here. I think one of the satellite TV places has something. Just have to look around I guess. 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:21:00 pm »
Neither WildBlue or Hughes are unlimited. Both have a FAP.  I think Hughes rolls on 24hr while WildBlue is 30 days.  Trust me,  satellite is a last resort.  If you can get wireless, cable or DSL, that is the way to go.  satellite is affected by the weather, and not just your local weather, but any weather between you and the equator.  It can be a beautiful sunny day here in upstate New York,  and a storm of NJ knocks out the satellite internet.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:49:23 pm »
Thanks Robo, my son said I might have to pay some extra if I use too much.
Do you have wireless and if so, how is it.
I can get it a lot cheaper than dish. But, I will be down in a depression and my other son always comes up on the hill when using the cell phone. Will it have that effect on the internet?
doak

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 10:51:52 pm »
Hey Doak!
 I finally had to get an ISP that worked for me as I'm in the country and nothing comes down the fone lines this far. Clearwire had nothing but problems and finally quit completely.
  I finally went out to circuit city and signed on with Verizon. This works by using phone sattelites I think. Its just a card you put in your USB port. Some people who did reviews said it was impossible to use a router with one of these cards but I'm running 3 computers with one card.(Youre not supposed to do this legally i suppose but when i'm paying 60.00 a month I do have a clear conscience) I use one computer as the central unit for the verizon card and then have a router coming out of that sending signals to a belkin card in my CPU and my sons laptop which is already set up for the signal without a belkin card.
 Before I went this route I checked all sorts of options and read alot of reviews. I think Wildblue was way to costly( Higher than verizon is) There are different prices for different speeds with Wildblue.
Down here there is also Zanadoo, but its identicle to Clearwire.
 I still think 60.00 a month is outrageous but if I want a higher speed than 28.8 Kbs I had to go this route....I'm content.
your friend,
john

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 11:15:15 pm »
Thanks bigfish, sounds like what I need. I will be working with only one cp.
doak

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:21:37 am »
In my opinion you don't want wild blue (bad customer service for me). Verizion is propaly the best followed by sprint for a  wireless card option. I pay 60 a month for unlimited use with sprint.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 02:48:55 am »
After I added my second line mine is around 60, so for the same price may as well go fast.
Then I can let go the second line and with what I am already paying for dial up it comes out even.
Like switching my saddle for a fresh Horse, then I can get out of Dodge faster. :roll:

How much is the start up cost?
doak

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:16:43 am »
I can get it a lot cheaper than dish. But, I will be down in a depression and my other son always comes up on the hill when using the cell phone. Will it have that effect on the internet?
doak
you just need a line of sight to the transmitter (on your roof)...i heard it works very well but i have dsl so this is not from personal experience.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 08:18:11 am »
The only one I can get is hughes.net, they suck big time, its expensive, slow, dont get what they promise and yes FAP is a pain, you download too much and you can't use the  internet any longer, You can but its so slow you won't want to, dial up iis faster than fap restrictions, funny thing my phone lines are so bad I can't even get dial up. I took hughes but if there was anything else I would change. even the wireless won't work for me. I have it also for my laptop. remember if your celll phone don't work were your at neither will the wireless card. unless you want to stand on the hill like your son, don't go that way. if your mobile its fine.  And as I wrote this my satelite kicked of for 5 mins. lol another example of hughes, oh ya and wild blue is owned by hughes.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 09:13:07 am »
doak
you just need a line of sight to the transmitter (on your roof)...i heard it works very well but i have dsl so this is not from personal experience.

Yep. Line of sight. Good thing here is it is so flat we get it over ten miles away.
And here it is less than $40.00  :-D

We have five computers tied to it and it is still fast. Never had a limit on how much we use or download.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 09:19:30 am »
doak

Unfortunately not,  I have no cell coverage at my house. I'm stuck with slow dial-up on crappy phone lines.  No cable, DSL or wireless.  Been looking a statellite for about 3 years but have heard so many bad stories.  I would have gone for it by now but neither Wildblue or Hughes will give me better coordinates that "clear view of the southern sky" without signing up and paying.  Living in the mountains I don't have a clear view of any sky except straight up,  so I need to cut down some trees.  I would prefer to do it ahead of time and my convenience not theirs.

Go with wireless if you have the option.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 04:25:46 pm »
I called Verizon and they have a good deal if the signal will work down there in that hole.
I know it will work where I am at present but I am moving into my sons house.
It is down in the Hollow.
$35 sign up and $59 a month.
That is equal to what I am paying for slow dial up.
Just switching the saddle to a faster horse.  :shock: :roll: :)
doak

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 07:59:25 pm »
hey Doak,
Push for no install fee(the 35.00) Theres alot of competition but They also know that most people who go to them are in our shoes with no other options.
 Also, Are you ex military or work for the services?(I'm a contract worker for the Air Force) if you are either of these you will receive a 15 percent discount.(Same with their cell fone service) You'll have to mention it to them though.
When I signed up(oh yeh,...2 year contract) there was some sort of down payment but it came back as a credit in about the 3rd statement. You also will need proof about military history or whatever for the discount.
  Good Luck!
your friend,
john

anything