Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from WILD WONDERFUL WEST VIRGINIA  (Read 2993 times)

Offline WV Hillbilly

• New Bee
Hello from WILD WONDERFUL WEST VIRGINIA
« on: April 17, 2008, 12:16:31 am »
    Howdy Folks , Yup I'm a certified hillbilly & proud of it . Several years ago I kept
a few hives of bees till back surgery intervened . A family member , who was a beekeeper passed away about a year ago & my father-in-law bought all his bees &
beekeeping equipment . Tons of it , you name it , he had it . The person who passed
away had been sick for several years & the bees had been neglected . We spent most of last year trying to straighten up the hives that were still living & cleaning
woodenware & such . We went into last winter with 17 hives & lost 2 so now have
15 that seem to be doing well . Also have 10 packages ordered . Also been trying to
get caught up on skill & knowledge . Hope to have a decent year & hope everyone
does well .

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: Hello from WILD WONDERFUL WEST VIRGINIA
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 07:11:20 am »
Hello and Welcome!

Glad to have you onboard. This is a great forum to learn about bees. If you've been out of it for awhile, there have been a number of changes in "best practices".

Are you connected with a local beekeeping group? WV has a number of clubs:
http://www.wvbeekeepers.org/Associations.html
Plus, the Heartland Bee convention will be in WV this year! By all means go if you can:
http://www.heartlandbees.com/

One more thing, I use the forum's 'seach' function a lot. Very often I find that the question I have has been discussed previously so I can find an answer immediately. If you're impatient - like me - that's very useful!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures with bees!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 07:54:44 am »
>Plus, the Heartland Bee convention will be in WV this year! By all means go if you can:
http://www.heartlandbees.com/

And I've been invited to speak there, so you might even meet me. :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline WV Hillbilly

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 09:58:44 pm »
      Thanks for the welcome guys . I didn't know about the convention . Sure hope
I can go though . Would be great to meet you Michael , I have been to your site
several times & find a lot of what you're doing very interesting . I'm not a current member of any clubs . I noticed the link said to take the forms to a local club . Do
I have to be a club member to submit registration forms to go ?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:54:39 am »
WV Hillbilly.  I welcomed you in another post, but welcome again in our greetings forum.  Nice to have you hear, you will have more stories for us.  Cool. So nice that you got all the hives and equipment to go with it.  Hope you fare well after the surgery that made you give up bees, but only for awhile, hee, hee.  Have a wonderful and beautifully great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 10:58:32 am »
Welcome from Missouri. I have relatives in New Martinsville and love your state. Have a great year with your hives. Good luck with your back.

DennisB

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 03:06:18 pm »
>Do I have to be a club member to submit registration forms to go ?

No.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Beekissed

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 04:25:11 am »
Welcome, fellow hill-jack!!!  Where are you?  I am going to start raising bees this year, if possible.  My folks had a hive when I was growing up and I would like to get back into it.  Sounds like you got back into it in a big way!   Nice to meet you! 
"...he maketh me to lie down in green pastures..."

anything