Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New ohio guy here  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Joshb12885

• New Bee
New ohio guy here
« on: June 25, 2009, 01:07:13 am »
Hello all, I have been reading posts on this site for a while now and finally decided to register  :-D. I have been involved with honeybees for about a year and a half now. I started out helping a friend of mine with her 2 hives last spring and last summer we made splits off of her hives which became father's day gifts for my dad last year. My dad had really taken to his bees and his hives have done really well we have increased to about 12 hives in just over a year. 8 of the hives are occupying 2 deeps right now 6 of them have supers on and the others are just building up from nucs with lots of young laying queens!

If anyone else is in Ohio and interested in talking bees hit me up. Also I wouldn't mind talking to other people either.

I am currently a graduate student in entomology at the Ohio state University. I am not studying honey bee biology but I do have a lot of experience with care and general husbandry of insects. I have had some experience teaching college students about the basics of honey bee biology.

Josh

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: New ohio guy here
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:40:34 am »
Hello Josh and welcome to the forum!
It sounds like beekeeping has been good to you so far.
There are alot of knowledgeable people here and I think you will enjoy the forum.
If you haven't already checked out the search feature you will find so alot information on every beekeeping topic there is.
When I first joined I just read all the old threads for hours and learned so much.
I am sure there are some members from Ohio here that you can touch base with.
Happy Beekeeping!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 08:24:21 am »
Hello and Welcome Josh
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny 

Offline sparks

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 11:59:55 am »
Josh,

Welcome to the group.  You will find some of the best informed and well behaved people here that the internet has to offer.  The learning never stops and I have never been aable to keep up with all the posts that happen in a day.  I hope that you find your online experience here usefull and fun.

Chuck Sparks

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 01:14:03 pm »
Josh, welcome to our forum, so nice that you have found us and registered.  This will be a place where you can contribute knowledge, ask questions, tell your stories, tales and experiences -- and also make some new friends.  Stick around.  Have a great and most wonderful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:09:18 pm »
Welcome Josh and that was a great Father day present.
Bobby

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:20:57 am »
It's always good to  have the viewpoint of a genuine entomologist on the forum.  I'm thinking you'll soon be changing your specialty to one with more buzz. 
Now we can put to rest all those old beekeeper myths that have bee floating around for ever.
Welcome to the forum.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 07:40:08 am »
It's always good to  have the viewpoint of a genuine entomologist on the forum.  I'm thinking you'll soon be changing your specialty to one with more buzz. 
My thoughts exactly. Now that Sue Cobey has left Ohio State for UC Davis, OSU could use someone keep the focus on honey bees. Plus, you can get out of Columbus and head over to Wooster and spend time with Jim Tew.

anything