Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm cell ??  (Read 918 times)

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
swarm cell ??
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:06:28 pm »
I have 2 TBH's that I am planning to switch to langs. was going out to do one today, but could not find the queen so I closed them back up. What I did find were lots of bees, lots of drones and several capped swarm cells in each. cells were on the bottoms and sides of the comb. both had lots of capped brood and larvae not sure bout eggs.(can't see them). have not been in these hives in 2 weeks. I added empty frames between brood then.

should I go ahead and switch them to the langs and hope I get the queen before they swarm? or do ya think they already swarmed?

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: swarm cell ??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:50:54 pm »
I think you would have noticed so many  missing bees if they had swarmed.  Opening the brood nest by adding frames was the right thing to do.  But it may be too late to stop a swarm.  

You might consider doing a false swarm to the Langs.   Take half the brood and half the stores and move them to your Lang, leaving the other half in the TBH.   If you can't determine where the queen is, make sure you get some of the capped queen cells in each after-split hive.  If you can find the queen, move her to the Lang.  Most of the foragers will return to the TBH.

You may be fine if you just move all the bees from TBH to Lang.  Bees are constantly building queen cells and tearing them out again.  But I would leave the queen cells intact, just in case you did lose your queen in a swarm.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:02:24 pm by FRAMEshift »
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh