Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Home Made Sticky Boards for Varroa  (Read 3474 times)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Home Made Sticky Boards for Varroa
« on: May 21, 2006, 01:22:03 pm »
I did a search board wide and nothing came up. Some bee supply companies have sticky boards for over $2.00 a piece  :roll: . Has anyone here been successful in making their own and what source of sticky non-drying adhesive have you used.

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 01:31:25 pm »
If you use mineral oil or petroleum jelly mixed w/ dishsoap and smear it all over a board cut to fit the bottom of the hive it will work just as well, worked for a friend of mine.  Doesn't need to be sticky exactly, just with a oily film thick enough for the mites to get stuck and suffocate in.
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 03:23:37 pm »
The essentials are that the bees either don't have access to the sticky board (under a SBB) or it has some kind of matrix for the bees to walk on without getting stuck.  When you buy one it usually comes with some kind of plastic mesh for the bees to walk on.  Contact paper works fine under the SBB.  Contact paper works fine on a regular bottom board if you put some #4, #5, #6, #7 or #8 hardware cloth on it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline COLVIN

• House Bee
Doesn't need to be sticky exactly, just with a oily film thi
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:37:33 am »
i use pam spray. have had no problems. just spray lightly & slide in . also easier to wash off.
colvin
FROM BEE TO THEE, BEE BUZZING ON

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 09:51:03 am »
Long ago we recommended here in Finland that method but now no one remember it now.

It is not necessary to watch mites all the time. It is enough when you terminate them in late autumn or in late summer.

I handled my hives last autumn once by trickling and I have not met a one mite this year. Not even in drone cells which I have cutted.

We have total brood gap in winter and varroa is easy to handle with oxalic liguid.